take a look at this wiring diagram

Started by chris93, January 06, 2014, 05:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris93

Hi guys , take a look at this wiring diagram.

what happens once the wire reaches the orange LINE 2 Terminal, will go out from the Black line on Line 2 ?

and how does the 24 V of the Contactor come from  , does it come from the Purple and Red from R and C ?

does the current flow from the single pole contactor to the   230 - 460 V transformer to the 24 V - 460 V transformer , if that is the case everything is in a loop,  the current will flow from the single pole contactor to the 24 V side, so if I have no current going through the Single Pole Contactor then there will be no current on the 24 V side, or does the heat board has some way of storing current ?

from http://www.justanswer.com/hvac/4w4ss-goettl-heat-pump-wiring-troubleshooting-i-need.html

Admin

Quotewhat happens once the wire reaches the orange LINE 2 Terminal, will go out from the Black line on Line 2 ?
Yes.

Quoteand how does the 24 V of the Contactor come from  , does it come from the Purple and Red from R and C ?
No.  The 460V to 24V stepdown transformer feeds the R and C terminals on the control board.  The contactor gets 24V from the control board CC terminals.

If there is no power going to the contactor then there should be no power leaving the 24V transformer.  The contactor coil gets the 24V from the board, which gets 24V from the step down transformer.

I visited the link you posted.

QuoteThe B terminal on circuit board is not used and the white wire goes from W1 on the sub panel to the circuit board in HP. Everything else hooked up normally.
Problem is when I turn to cool I get HOT air. If I remove the white wire the condensing fan and compressor does not turn on.

It makes no sense because the white wire is used for heating not cooling.  It could be a faulty thermostat or wiring.  If the system is set to cool there should be no power on W.

chris93

if I follow the wiring diagram correctly should the current flow from the 460 V to the 230 V side  ?  if it was the other way the current will go from the 230 V side to the 460 V and back to the single pole contactor again.

QuoteIf there is no power going to the contactor then there should be no power leaving the 24V transformer.  The contactor coil gets the 24V from the board, which gets 24V from the step down transformer.

But how is it possible that the the 24 V side can regulate current 230 V current flow on the single pole contactor, if the 24 V side depends on the 230 V at first place ?  Does the circuit board has some way of storing electricity by any chance  ?

chris93

Is this wiring diagram correct, it shows 24 V coming from the control circuit board going into thermostat, however i have read that the control board needs 24 V, that mean that there should be 24 V going into the control board ?

from http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu/users/olawlor/photos/places/Illinois/uiuc/2002/house/furnace/wiring_initial.jpg

Admin

There seems to be a conflict with that wiring diagram.  The supply voltage feeding the contactor says 230-1-60 which is 230V - 1-Phase, but the bottom of the wiring diagram sais 460-3-60 which is 460V - 3 Phase.  What is your actual supply voltage?

Now that I look at the diagram again, I think the contactor is actually being supplied 460V 3-Phase.  It then enters the 460V transformer and steps it down to 230V and feeds the control board.  The control board then feeds 230V from L1 and 230V from L2 into the 460V transformer that steps down to 24V.

I don't think that board stores 24V.  Without the line voltage feeding the transformer there shouldn't be any 24V supply.

Trainerguy

From what I can see, this is a standard gas furnace with a "fan centre" added to the furnace to allow the fan motor to come on when there is a call for A.C. The "G' terminal is energized through the subbase "Y" terminal when the system switch is in the "Auto" position thus causing the fan relay to energize the fan motor.  As a result there isn"t a "control board". All functions are controlled by the stat that is receiving 24 volts from the trans. The furnace usually has a separate 24v trans. to supply the heating component of the furnace including the 24v heater in the fan control. It would appear that if this is the case the original trans. as removed and the "fan centre" trans. is supplying 24v for all the functions.
This diagram is correct as far as it is shown.
Trainerguy

chris93

Hi guys,

take a look at the wiring diagram at 2:14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaT-gcEYpvs

how is it possible that the circuit is able to send 120 V AC to the Draft Inducer Motor,  without sending current through the Blower Fan Motor

Admin

The control board makes it possible.  Listen to the audio at 2:28.