Considering getting into HVAC trade--need advice on obtaining G3

Started by genguy, October 20, 2014, 10:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

genguy

Hello,

Considering a career change.  I have worked for the same company for the past 12 years, doing field service work on engine driven generators and diesel engine repairs.  I have my truck and coach certification.  Actually I have it really good with my company:  making $40/hr, benefits, job security, company vehicle.  I had multiple job offers after college and have never been laid off or had to sit at home due to lack of work.  I would be giving up a lot to leave.  I'm in small town Ontario, and no doubt will have trouble finding and maintaining steady work in an entry level HVAC position.  HVAC looks pretty competitive.

Problem is, I'm BORED to DEATH.  Most of the generators I work on run a couple dozen hours a year, and just sit there.  I have definitely learned a lot, but have reached a plateau, and now dread going to work.  I swear I'm getting dumber by the day.  Life is too short for this.  Going back to school physically, even part time, isn't an option right now, and I expect it might take years to finally make the jump to change careers.  HVAC appears pretty interesting and technically challenging.  I'm good with electrical and troubleshooting and know I could make a good HVAC tech. 

I am looking for little things I can do to progress toward my goal.  Am currently doing an on-line "HVAC Systems" course offered by ASHRAE.  I see that a person can challenge the G3 exam with no experience.  Am sure I could pass by studying the code, etc. however the practical portion would be difficult to pass, given my lack of experience. Found that George Brown College offers a G3 course fully online for about $900, however a lot of the content would be review for me, ie. basic electrical, tools, safety, and its all on-line like I said so probably wouldn't be very useful for the practical anyway.  Any thoughts on passing the practical portion or on my situation in general?

Porcupinepuffer

You'd be nuts to drop that job and be back almost at minimum wage as a G3. I'm a G3 and work my ass off making G2's money while I practically work for free. I'd kill for your job, even if it is boring. I'm quite busy at work, but actually dread going into work knowing I'll have nothing to show for it when I get my lousy paycheck...
But for the G3, you'd want to study the codebooks inside and out, and learn all the G3 modules. The practical shouldn't be all that difficult, but can't say what they'll have you do. It's really not until you're a G2 you can even begin to be taken seriously as an HVAC guy... After that you'd want to obtain the refrigeration license.