Illegal installations of gas appliances in Bedrooms, Bathrooms, and Kitchens

Started by MightyQ, January 06, 2015, 04:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyQ

Can anyone give me information about and code references to the following:
1) Gas appliance installed in a bedroom. What can and cant be installed in a bedroom? (also include code references if possible)

2) Gas appliance installed in a kitchen. What can and cant be installed in a kitchen. What if someone has a natural draft furnace and water heater in a small furnace room that is accessed from the kitchen though slotted bi-fold doors?
I was told that was illegal. Where can I find code references banning that situation?

3) Gas appliance installed in a bathroom area. There is a Mid efficiency furnace in this shower and bathroom area. There is a washroom exhaust fan in the room. There is also a washer and electric dryer in this room, and a gas water heater that has a factory combustion air system that is made to draw combustion air from outdoors, and is power vented as well. That was installed by D. Energy.
D. Energy forced the home owner to change over the old natural draft water tank or be red tagged. The home owner also has a combustion air grill in the wall of the room that allows air from the rest of the house to enter that room.
Im still wondering about that washroom exhaust fan on the ceiling of the room, and the mid efficiency power vented furnace that draws combustion air from the room. Any info on that and code references would be appreciated.

Admin

First you must read the installation instructions for each appliance and make sure there are no requirements more stringent than our Gas Code.  The most stringent requirement must be followed.
A water heater with an intake and exhaust vent, like the one you describe, is called a direct vent water heater.  A power vent water heater would have a single exhaust vent.

Quote1) Gas appliance installed in a bedroom. What can and cant be installed in a bedroom? (also include code references if possible)
QuoteBedroom — a room furnished with a bed and used primarily for sleeping.

QuoteBed-sitting room — a one-room apartment serving as both a bedroom and a sitting room.

QuoteClause 7.24.4 - A decorative appliance shall not be installed either in a bathroom or in a room where sleeping accommodation is provided, except that an appliance certified to ANSI Z21.50/CSA 2.22 may be installed in
(a) a bathroom if of the direct-vent type;
(b) a bedroom or a bed-sitting room if of the direct-vent type; and
(c) a bedroom or a bed-sitting room if not of the direct-vent type where the appliance is identified by a marking on or adjacent to the rating plate stating "ALSO CERTIFIED FOR INSTALLATION IN A BEDROOM OR BED-SITTING ROOM"*.
*The equivalent French wording is "ÉGALEMENT CERTIFIÉ POUR INSTALLATION DANS UNE CHAMBRE À COUCHER OU UN STUDIO".

Here is Clause 7.26.1 prior to December 1, 2012;
QuoteClause 7.26.1 - A water heater, unless of the direct vent type, shall not be installed in a bathroom, bedroom, or any enclosure where sleeping accommodation is provided. An enclosure containing the water heater shall not be accessed by a pedestrian door which can be opened from the bathroom or bedroom.

Here is Clause 7.26.1 as of December 1, 2012;
QuoteClause 7.26.1 - A water heater, unless of the direct-vent type, shall not be installed in a bathroom, bedroom, or any enclosure where sleeping accommodation is provided.

A power vent water heater may be installed in an enclosure adjacent to a bedroom or bathroom provided adequate combustion air per clause 8.2.6 is provided to the enclosure. This combustion air supply shall not be supplied from the bedroom or bathroom.

A natural draft water heater may be installed in an enclosure that is accessed by a pedestrian door which can be opened from a bathroom or bedroom, provided that the enclosure has a volume equal to or greater than the bathroom or bedroom

I believe there is a mistake in this latest Clause 7.26.1.  It says we can install a power vent water heater but must provide combustion air as per Clause 8.2.6.  Clause 8.2.6 only pertains to indoor combustion air and not outdoor combustion air.  Clause 7.26.1 also says this air supply shall not be supplied from the bedroom or bathroom.  If our enclosure is in the bedroom or bathroom how can we follow Clause 8.2.6 if the adjacent room cannot be used?  I believe Clause 7.26.1 should refer to Clause 8.2, not Clause 8.2.6.  Clause 8.2 would allow the use of an outdoor air supply.  I have confirmed, in this case, that the use of an outdoor air supply is accepted by the TSSA.  Since Clause 8.2 includes Clause 8.2.6 it would only make sense to amend Clause 7.26.1.

QuoteClause 7.28.2 - A hotplate shall not be installed in a bedroom but may be installed in a bed-sitting room, provided that it is not required to be used for space-heating purposes.

QuoteClause 7.32.1 - A range shall not be installed in a bedroom but may be installed in a bed-sitting room, provided that it is not required to be used for space-heating purposes.

Quote2) Gas appliance installed in a kitchen. What can and cant be installed in a kitchen. What if someone has a natural draft furnace and water heater in a small furnace room that is accessed from the kitchen though slotted bi-fold doors? I was told that was illegal. Where can I find code references banning that situation?

A gas range can be installed in a kitchen.  :D

If the furnace and water heater are installed in an enclosure then they aren't in the kitchen.  The louvered doors are used to satisfy Clause 8.2.6 as there is probably no other air supply in the enclosure.  The installer would need ensure the gas appliances have sufficient air supply when the kitchen range hood is on.

Quote3) Gas appliance installed in a bathroom area. There is a Mid efficiency furnace in this shower and bathroom area. There is a washroom exhaust fan in the room. There is also a washer and electric dryer in this room, and a gas water heater that has a factory combustion air system that is made to draw combustion air from outdoors, and is power vented as well. That was installed by D. Energy.  D. Energy forced the home owner to change over the old natural draft water tank or be red tagged. The home owner also has a combustion air grill in the wall of the room that allows air from the rest of the house to enter that room.  Im still wondering about that washroom exhaust fan on the ceiling of the room, and the mid efficiency power vented furnace that draws combustion air from the room. Any info on that and code references would be appreciated.
QuoteBathroom — a room used primarily for bathing and containing a bathtub and/or shower.

QuoteClause 7.23.1 - A room heater in a bathroom shall be of the direct-vent type.

Did Direct Energy install the new water heater prior to December 1, 2012?  If so then they gave you the only option.

If the water heater was installed on or after December 1, 2012, I would have avoided the more expensive direct vent water heater and framed walls around the furnace and water heater.  Then a natural draft water heater could be used as long as the enclosure is the same size or bigger than the bathroom area, or a power vented water heater could be used in conjunction with an indoor or outdoor air supply.   Both natural draft and power vented water heaters are a lot less expensive than a direct vent water heater.

harshal

QuoteRe believe there is a mistake in this latest Clause 7.26.1.  It says we can install a power vent water heater but must provide combustion air as per Clause 8.2.6.  Clause 8.2.6 only pertains to indoor combustion air and not outdoor combustion air.  Clause 7.26.1 also says this air supply shall not be supplied from the bedroom or bathroom.  If our enclosure is in the bedroom or bathroom how can we follow Clause 8.2.6 if the adjacent room cannot be used?  I believe Clause 7.26.1 should refer to Clause 8.2, not Clause 8.2.6.  Clause 8.2 would allow the use of an outdoor air supply.  I have confirmed, in this case, that the use of an outdoor air supply is accepted by the TSSA.  Since Clause 8.2 includes Clause 8.2.6 it would only make sense to amend Clause 7.26.1.

Regarding above clause you can use indoor combustion air except through bedroom and bathroom for power vent water heater. As for example the water heater rom has access through the bedroom with solid door but other side of the water heater room is facing towards hallway .In this case I would recommended to make the grill through that area and provide the fresh air to satisfy that requirement. IN fact that is common occurrence in Gta area where all basement are made with kitchens and bedrooms and bathrooms for rental purposes.

Admin

I agree.  In certain cases, depending on where the enclosure is situated, indoor combustion air can be used as per Clause 8.2.6.