Changing of Compressor. POE Oil, Wrong Refrigerant, Consequences.

Started by Sergroum, May 23, 2015, 09:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergroum

Heya.

So here's the story. A compressor went faulty on a r22 rooftop unit. A tech changed the compressor, but saw that it was filled with POE oil. Figuring that POE oil means it cannot be r22 and trusting that I ordered the compressor correctly, he filled it with 410. His head temp went up to 200, his low refused to go up at all, kept going down to 0. He kept adding gas, the compressor would start heating up and eventually come off on a limit.

Alright. So ... is the compressor salvageable? POE oil works with r22 if the gas supplied is dry. Viable to just remove r410, and charge it properly with r22? I actually never had any experience on how a system behaves with a wrong gas in it. Would a TXV ment for r22 system act differently when hit by the pressures of r410? The description of how the gas behaved makes me think of a restriction. But I dont know. It's the wrong gas. Going to go there this monday, want to see if anyone had any ... similar experience?

viking

Never experienced this but if it were me I'd do exactly what you said. Remove 410, evacuate and recharge with 22.
Assuming compressor isn't dead now I think it should be ok.

harshal

I would chk the compressor windings between common start and run to each other and to groung.assuming its OK I would recover the existing refrigerant,then purge with nitro and vaccum for 30 min then would CHG with proper refrigerant.