2014 Copeland Compressors and TXV problems

Started by Admin, August 11, 2015, 04:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

I ran into my first system affected by this rust inhibitor problem.  Thank you Alex for the great service and training!

QuoteIf the system has a TXV that is exhibiting reduced capacity and/or the indoor coil is experiencing frozen coil problems, be sure to check for plugged indoor filters, low refrigerant charge, and system restrictions before considering the recommended field "curative" fix below.

Download the Lennox C-15-03 technical bulletin - Here

Download the Carrier DSB14-001 technical bulletin - Here

Download the Carrier TIC2015-0010 technical bulletin - Here

walker

I've fixed about 40 of these units so far this year, its all I did last week, about 35 rheems and 5 amana's.  I've had luck with some by just adding in A/C Renew. but most of them they advised us to replace the txv or change it to a piston.

Admin

One thing that might help is giving the TXV bulb a "bath", while the AC is running.

Submerge the TXV bulb in hot water for 30 seconds then in cold water for 30 seconds.  Do this for 5 minutes.

Frosty

Just make sure you let it work for the 24 hours stated. I've only had one where it didn't work. For all you carrier Bryant and payne guys. You also get a $195 labour allowance plus the cost of the zeroal back. Unfortunately the injection tool isn't covered.

walker

Even on some of the Rheem units that I have switched to a piston still get stuck with low suction pressure. It's like the capillary tubes are getting clogged shut as well.  I have even had to just change the whole coil to get some of the  working again.

Porcupinepuffer

"Warming the bulb while still attached to the coil with other methods not described in the bulletin, such as using a MAP gas torch or a Heat Gun, is not as effective and not recommended because TXV damage can occur"

"Do not use tape or tie wraps to re-mount the TXV bulb back to the vapor header." 

Do licensed refrigeration guys need to be told this?