Sidewall furnace vent

Started by miker, December 17, 2015, 11:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miker

Is there any code that regulates placement of the vent of high efficiency furnace on side wall of the house in terms of distance to an adjoining property line, height from the ground to the top of the vent pipe, etc?

Admin

QuoteClause 8.14.8 - A vent shall not terminate
(a) where it may cause hazardous frost or ice accumulations on adjacent property surfaces;
(b) less than 7 ft (2.1 m) above a paved sidewalk or a paved driveway that is located on public property;
(c) within 6 ft (1.8 m) of a mechanical air-supply inlet to any building;
(d) above a regulator within 3 ft (900 mm) horizontally of the vertical centreline of the regulator vent outlet to a maximum vertical distance of 15 ft (4.5 m);
(e) except as required by Clause 8.14.8(d), any distance less than that of any gas pressure regulator vent outlet as detailed in Table 5.2;
(f) less than 1 ft (300 mm) above grade level;
(g) within the following distances of a window or door that can be opened in any building, of any nonmechanical air-supply inlet to any building, or of the combustion air inlet of any other appliance:
(i) 6 in (150 mm) for inputs up to and including 10 000 Btuh (3 kW);
(ii) 12 in (300 mm) for inputs from 10 000 Btuh (3 kW) up to and including 100 000 Btuh (30 kW); and
(iii) 3 ft (900 mm) for inputs exceeding 100 000 Btuh (30 kW); and
(h) underneath a veranda, porch, or deck unless
(i) the veranda, porch, or deck is fully open on a minimum of two sides beneath the floor; and
(ii) the distance between the top of the vent termination and the underside of the veranda, porch, or deck is greater than 1 ft (300 mm).

Clause 8.14.8(a) has been revoked.

Viperi

what about on a common walkway/ driveway? do i got to go up 7 feet? or would that fall under clause a?

Admin

Clause 8.14.8(a) has been revoked.

It sounds like you would need to follow Clause 8.14.8(b),

Quote(b) less than 7 ft (2.1 m) above a paved sidewalk or a paved driveway that is located on public property;

Keep in mind a common walkway / driveway is not the same thing as public property.

Viperi

ive had inspectors come in for common walkway/ driveways and say that the only way legal is to cut line down the middle of the properties, or cut out a section under the venting and fill it in with gravel. Is there any clearances / building codes laws for venting in terms of being too close to the property line or blowing it into the neighbors side of the house?

Admin

There are no building Codes or city bylaws addressing clearances from exhaust vents to lot lines that I'm aware of.

You can't always assume the middle of the properties is the lot line.  Sometimes one neighbor is on a zero lot line and the other neighbor owns the majority of the land.

If the flue gas from one neighbors vent was blowing onto the others neighbors house and happened to damage the exterior, it's possible they could be found liable for the damage.  It's best to try to work with the neighbor or find another spot to vent the appliance.