email

Author Topic: Gas pipe in return duct  (Read 713 times)

Offline harshal

• 313D Supporter
Gas pipe in return duct
« on: May 08, 2016, 10:49:57 AM »
Are we allowed to run the gas line through the return air?
As per clause 6.7.6 they use word may.In some case the gas pipe need to go through it as the range just above the return duct.I know that we cannot have fitting into the return duct.any thought?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: Gas pipe in return duct
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 01:28:42 PM »
I do not know of any Codes that prevent a gas line from running through a return air, but I know Enbridge, in Ottawa, does not allow it in residential.

Clause 6.7.6 says you can install tubing or piping in a false ceiling space, including one used as a return-air, but Enbridge says this applies to mainly commercial buildings that use that space as a common return-air.

Clause 6.7.6 - Piping or tubing may be installed in a false ceiling space, including one used as a return-air plenum of a central warm-air or air-conditioning system.

False ceiling space — ceiling space that is enclosed with tiles or panels that are removable without the use of a tool. A typical type is the T-bar-constructed suspended ceiling.

Some CSST manufacturers don't allow it.  For example, Gastite does not allow their CSST to be installed within ductwork, as per Section 4.3.7 of the Gastite guide,

A plenum is defined as an enclosed portion of the building structure that is designed to allow air movement, and thereby serve as part of an air distribution system. No gas tubing may be run within ductwork.

Offline harshal

• 313D Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 06:51:19 AM »
Does this gas range and the dryer needs the Union? I haven't seen them most times.also from the earlier post they dont need the drip pocket. But if someone installed the gas line through the meter I mean outdoor for the gas range and it just entered the house where the range located?would they require the drip pocket. Outside they have lot of temp variations.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 07:08:12 AM »
No union or dirt pocket required on a gas range or dryer.

Clause 6.13.1 - A dirt pocket shall be installed at the bottom of any piping or tubing on the final drop serving an appliance other than
(a) an illuminating appliance;
(b) a range;
(c) a clothes dryer;
(d) an outdoor grill;
(e) a portable appliance or equipment;
(f) a decorative appliance;
(g) a gas log;
(h) a room heater; and
(i) an appliance incorporating a sediment trap.

Clause 6.13.5 - A drip pocket shall be provided at all points in a piping system where condensation can collect, such as points where the piping is exposed to either wide ranges or sudden changes in temperature

I have never seen Clause 6.13.5 enforced in residential homes.  Often times the gas piping is installed in unconditioned spaces, along the house and through the garage.