Heat pump selection

Started by harshal, March 09, 2022, 07:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harshal

Hi Folks,
I am looking to get some info regarding the selection of heat pump in my home.Its 2 ton air conditioning and 60000 btuh furnace,i am looking to replace the air conditioner with the heat pump which model should i choose to get some rebates,if there is rebates how much shoul I qualify?
I am doing it myself as i am licensed technician.
Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks

rmuntz

Basically, the way we used to do it, was, size the HP based on the a/c requirements. The heating size will work normally until it can't meet the load, then the auxiliary will take over. If you size the a/c too big, it will not cool properly (insufficient run time, high humidity).
The other factor is, the type of heat pump. Your heating load is based on design temp (lowest possible) for your area, not all heat pumps work at the lower temps. If you live in an area where you don't use the a/c much (cool nights), you could consider bumping up the HP one size (1/2 ton), but I certainly wouldn't size it for the 60000 btu load.
I don't know anything about the rebates.

Admin

scarey8

Something I have done for a few customers that were adamant of having a heat pump and pushing it past the limits of the balance point for heat. 

Heat pumps are usually sized on the AC load requirements as it has to behave properly for sensible and latent heat loads in the summer as Muntz detailed.  I would look at the heating capacities of larger two stage heat pumps.  With some creative wiring, you would utilize the 2nd stage heating capacity of the heat pump, and only operate the heat pump in cooling mode on first stage.  Just be sure to select the maximum sized heat pump which will provide the correct size btu on first stage for your AC requirements.  Obviously, you need to have a variable speed blower for this to work properly, couple of relays or toggle switches to enable and disable the 2nd stage respectively.  But its just an idea that can put you above the rest in the air to air heat market in your air as well. 

Cheers