1 ton split system

Started by Sergroum, June 07, 2016, 08:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergroum

Grettings, folks.

Stumbled onto this interesting piece of junk earlier. a Peake mini split. Never even heard of anything like that. Some manufacturer based in spain? All the documentation I've found on it, hints that it's all mostly ductlesses and cassette types.  What I have is basically pretty regular split system with a horizontal coil attached to a high velocity air handler.

Either way, it's toast and I will need to find a replacement for it. Would anyone recommend a 1 ton mini split system that's not a ductless? Something that would work with a regular coil? I confess, I never encountered mini splits that small that wasnt a ductless.  They were always 1.5 ton at least.

Perhaps I'm lacking experience with this. Has anyone ever installed a condensor that's ment to be used with a head, and paired it with an evaporator coil instead? Technically speaking as long as paired right, should work out just fine. But it's something I've never done before.

Admin

Lennox sells the Comfortaire CMA-12 that can be paired with a standard coil.  You must purchase a liquid line filter separately.

http://www.comfort-aire.com/downloads/doc/1128/raw

bster352

Noble can also get the Comfortaire if you do not have an account with Lennox.

Sergroum

Evidently, Lennox no longer sells Comfort aire. Used to at one point, or some similar such.

I spoke with the manufacturer and they sent me to Powermatic. 2 week wait for a coil to arrive. Ergh.

I'll try Noble.

Does anyone have any advice what kind of coil could I get from somewhere in GTA that could be paired with a 1 ton side discharge unit like this? I will need to place it on the return of a high velocity air handler.  So some kind of a horizontal coil is needed.

walker

there's a townhouse complex in Mississauga on Hensall Cir that uses Peake side discharge condensing units, altough they are ducted, not the greatest equipment to work on, especially when they build fences 3" from the discharge. Never seen a 1 ton, though those wouldn't freeze up on the 550 cfm air handler's they couple 2 ton condensers with. 

I have had luck with Wolseley getting parts for these Peake units.

Admin

I just bought a CMA-24 from Lennox Ottawa last week.  Lennox, Noble or Goodman sell a slab coil MA24-50R410A.  Goodman sells an Aspen coil or Lennox sells a CH33 coil that would work as well.

Old HVACr

If you have not worked on Hi Vi systems before my advise to you is to stay away from it , sounds unbelievable ? believe it

walker

Yeah when the builder specs an anti freeze stat on the system because they know ahead of time it will never work properly, you know you're going to have fun with them. The calls I hate the most are the stacked townhomes with these hi velocity systems that the builder installs half as many ducts which are called for by the manufacturer,  no wonder no they do nothing but freeze up.