email

Author Topic: 4 ton Goodman Heat pump  (Read 627 times)

Offline man00

4 ton Goodman Heat pump
« on: August 31, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »
Unit about four year old, when compressor kicks on I notice takes longer for fan blower starts. It has been this way since the install. I called Goodman and they said it was normal and would get better over time. Few week back the dual run Capacitor blew (45/5) it was 100f that day and all I could find was 50/5 to replace it with that day. I notice the compressor drag was much less and fan motor started up quickly. I since replaced the 50/5 with 45/5.  Drag and fan delay is back, will the 50/5 do any harm to the system? I have a Super Boost but never installed it..wasn't sure if they would do more harm than good.
Thanks 

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
Re: 4 ton Goodman Heat pump
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:26:19 PM »
I would never deviate from the rated condenser fan motor capacitor rating which in your case is 5MFD.

I don't think you'll have a problem using a 50MFD on the compressor even though it's rated 45MFD.

Essentially you're super boost increases the compressor’s starting torque.   I have been to a few calls where a previous technician diagnosed the compressor as faulty and I simply installed a super boost and everything's been working fine since.

If you only altered the compressor capacitor rating I can't see how that has any effect on the condenser fan motor start up.  Usually when the contactor closes it will power both the compressor and the condenser fan motor at the same time.

Offline Porcupinepuffer

• Pro Techâ„¢
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 03:31:07 PM »
Wire gauge, breaker, contactor and all connections good? Do you have a good meter where you can do LRA comparisons and RLA to what the specs are for the compressor and fan motors?

As for the booster, it's only a fraction of a second it's in the equation to kick the compressor in the arse on startup. It's a start capacitor that is quickly de-energized with a potential relay. So the fan and compressor will be in the run sequence with their correctly sized capacitors as they normally would be when running.

I just came off an install where some tech installed a super boost on the old unit I removed. I tested the old capacitor when I got home. It was supposed to be 30/5. It was 1.2 for the herm and .00245 for the fan.  The guy probably could have saved a good chunk of money just by having a good tech service it properly by first putting on a proper capacitor before trying to throw a boost kit on it.
That's what he says tho, I'm skeptical a tech serviced the unit since the home owner wanted the super boost back.

Offline man00

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 01:13:00 AM »
It has been slow to start since the first day of install...The 50/5 Cap made some difference but like I said didn't know if it would harm anything so I went back to the 45/5 when I found one. All connection look clean and tight..I have notice a bit of light dimming in the home when it pump starts up.