union in drop ceiling?

Started by howitt, September 20, 2016, 03:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howitt

Can you install a union in a drop ceiling? I need to install a mechanical solenoid shut off valve high in the piping system and I was wondering if it's ok to put a union in before the mechanical shut off in the drop ceiling space?

Admin

QuoteClause 6.14.4 - A union or a combination of fittings designed and intended to act as a swing joint shall not be used where piping is concealed.

I would consider a union installed behind a drop ceiling to be concealed, even if it's accessible by removing a tile.  I'm not sure if that was the intent of Clause 6.14.4, but unfortunately that's how it's worded.

To circumvent this rule I have used 2 steel couplings and CSST with fittings to act like a union which prevented me from having to tear back all the gas piping.

Verify the CSST you use is approved to be concealed.  I know Gastite is approved, but in some cases require the CSST be protected by strike plates.

Admin

It would be nice if the Gas Code defined the word concealed.  There should be concealment with accessibility and concealment without.  But then we'd be asking for their definition of accessible!    ;D