313d Inquiry

Started by brett1321, November 01, 2016, 01:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brett1321

Hi,
    I just recently graduated from Centennial colleges HVAC program, and their new G2 program. I just passed my G2 :) and have my ODP license. My next step I would like to pursue is obtaining my 313d license. From my understanding the requirement for it is 4500 hours of in field experience. The area where it gets grey for me is do I have to apply to the ORAC apprenticeship? Or could I find a job and after 4500 hours of working for the company, could they sponsor me to challenge the 313d test? I would appreciate any clarification on this for I know they only accept people in December and May and it seems like a long and rigorous process. If I can bypass this, it would be phenomenal.

Thanks for taking your time to read this,

Brett

Porcupinepuffer

What do mean by bypassing? 4500 hours is 4500 hours regardless of what route you take. The challenge process is ridiculously long for really no good reason. If you're a young enough guy, getting it through a proper apprenticeship is likely the way to go to not have to deal with too many headaches. I believe there would be required in class requirements with the apprenticeship that will deduct from the required in field hours. I have also heard that they want the in field experience to be on equipment that does have a/c equipment. We're often on jobs with a furnace or water heater only and we're not "supposed" to count those hours as related. Where did you hear about this December and May thing? Are you talking about the OCOT?
This was the first time I've ever heard of the ORAC.

brett1321

By bypassing I meant bypassing the ORAC route, I didn't mean the 4500 hours. ORAC is an apprenticeship intake program, which accepts applicants during that time. I did completely forget about checking the OCOT site, thank you so much, it answered most of my questions.

rmuntz

Hey Brett,

ORAC only deals with the intake for Union Companies. I don't think they do 313D apprenticeships, only 313A.

The best route for you is to get hired by a company that does residential work (say reliance or enercare) and get them to sign you up for a 313D apprenticeship. Once your hours and training are complete you would write a government Cetificate of Qualification (CofQ) exam in order to get your full license.

The challenge process is complicated, and the Ministry doesn't like it when you do that. You still need the hours, so you're best to get those hours as a registered apprentice.

R