do I need a licensed helper

Started by screech, November 29, 2016, 06:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screech

I'm a G 2 with a small propane company .we have a large piping job to do on a greenhouse ,I will be doing all the piping but I have no other licensed person in the company . the boss will give me one of the drivers if I show him how to thread pipe he can pass them to me up the scissor lift. Is this ok or does he have to be licensed?

Porcupinepuffer

Gaseous Fuels 212/01 seems to say you're fine, as long as you're there within their presence.  I've heard from teachers and other techs that we're not even allowed to carry a Gas Technicians toolbox without at least a G3, but the regulations seems to say otherwise. It would also be really hard for certain training providers to allow their up and coming G3's to rack up the co-op hours to get their license if they're not even allowed working without the license in the first place.
But it also says "appropriate certificate". Maybe they're implying you should have some form of a certificate that's at least closely related to what you may doing as opposed to just not having any certificate at all?  :scratchhead:

Certificates required for various activities

6. (1) No person shall install, alter, purge, activate, repair, service or remove any appliance, equipment or other thing employed or to be employed in the handling or use of gas unless the person is the holder of a certificate for that purpose.  O. Reg. 212/01, s. 6 (1).

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to prevent a person without the appropriate certificate from undertaking any of the activities mentioned in that subsection in the presence of the holder of the certificate.  O. Reg. 212/01, s. 6 (3).

screech

Old HVACr

I see many Home Depot branches have  threading machines in their plumbing isle with someone threading gas pipes for customers and I doubt they are Gas fitters ! If they are then why bother work at Home Depot ?   

Admin

That's an interesting point.  I suspect anyone at the manufacturer who threads nipples or pipe doesn't have a gas license either.

I'm curious to know if the regulation that Porcupinepuffer referenced would hold up in a TSSA investigation.

I emailed our Premiere, Kathleen Wynne and will let you know how she replies.

QuoteIn Ontario the TSSA governs gasfitters and their certification.

As an employer I wonder if can hire unlicensed workers.

Ontario regulation 212/01 says,

"Certificates required for various activities

6. (1) No person shall install, alter, purge, activate, repair, service or remove any appliance, equipment or other thing employed or to be employed in the handling or use of gas unless the person is the holder of a certificate for that purpose.  O. Reg. 212/01, s. 6 (1).

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to prevent a person without the appropriate certificate from undertaking any of the activities mentioned in that subsection in the presence of the holder of the certificate.  O. Reg. 212/01, s. 6 (3)."

Can you please confirm I can hire unlicensed workers to do the job of a gasfitter without certification as long as they're in the presence of a certificate holder?

Admin

Quote from: Porcupinepuffer on November 29, 2016, 08:09:44 PM
But it also says "appropriate certificate". Maybe they're implying you should have some form of a certificate that's at least closely related to what you may doing as opposed to just not having any certificate at all?  :scratchhead:

You nailed it.  Section 6(3) is saying a G3 certificate holder can work without the appropriate certification, in the presence of a certificate holder.  It doesn't mean someone without any certification can do the work.  See the attached response from the MGCS.