Heater exhaust - does this look correct?

Started by NR76, December 22, 2016, 11:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NR76

Does this look correct? Very happy with install...just a little suprised what the exhaust looks like.

Admin

The gas company considers the ventilated soffit to be a building opening, so the vent was extended away from that.

What's the model of the unit heater?  I would need to know that in order to check the manual for approved terminations.

The unit heater would've likely needed to be hung lower inside in order to avoid that vent extension outside.  If the unit heater is under 101,000 BTUs we would need to keep 1 foot from the vent to the soffit.  The other option would have been to vent vertically up through the roof.

I don't think the vent looks bad.  The only thing I would suggest is putting a strap on the end of that vent and secure it to the under eave.

ainsworthCA

what ive seen done is literally block off a section of the soffit. removes the building entrance.

might not want to hang that any lower.

Admin

They would need to use a different termination if there's an option to do so.  I don't think that tee would fit under the under eave.

NR76

Heres a pic.

Probably should have had them go through the roof.

The vent is a bit of an eyesore.

Just need to insulate now.

Admin

Looks good.  They did a good job by the looks of it.

NR76

Thanks, i thought so. Was just surprised to see the long exhaust. I was expecting something similar to my gas fireplace.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Porcupinepuffer

It looks cleanly done. Longer exhaust outside was because of clearance to the ventilated soffit. It's a code requirement and there's not really any other alternative. Even if it was an un-ventilated soffit, it doesn't look like it would make clearance either. This was how it had to be done and there's a LOT of garage heaters that are done in this exact scenario because of the same issue.

Sergroum

Excellent job. The gas/wiring is done a lot neater then I would've done, I'm ashamed to say.

Attavior

Does the gastite connect directly to the unit heater?

Not suppose to use plastic zip ties as support.

Porcupinepuffer

Quote from: Attavior on December 27, 2016, 08:44:08 PM
Not suppose to use plastic zip ties as support.

The two locations of supports are directly on studs on the wall and appear to be a different material, perhaps coated band iron.

Sergroum

Yeah. There's a difference between support and keeping it neat and orderly.