aprilaire 600/700 vs honeywell humidifier

Started by wantboost, January 22, 2017, 08:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wantboost

which should I get.
some are steam some have fans and outdoor temp sensor and Honeywell uses 3 sensors to guess outside temp .
im unsure of Honeywell model numbers!?
G2

Admin

The Aprilarie 600 is a bypass humidifier.  The Aprilaire 700 is a power humidifier.  The Honeywell HE225 and HE360 are comparible models.

If you want a steam humidifier look at the Aprilaire 800.  The Honeywell steam humidifiers can be problematic.

I would not invest in automatic controls or outdoor sensors.  Invest in a smart thermostat like the Ecobee3 to control the humidifier.  It knows the outdoor temperature and offers window frost protection.

wantboost

U don't recommend a aprilaire with outside sensor ?
Is steam with the extra price?
The ecobee will adjust rh?
Do I have to have extra wires to control the humidifier at the thermostat ?
G2

Admin

A steam humidifier would cost more than a bypass humidifier.

The Ecobee3 requires 1 wire on the ACC+ terminal to control the humidifier and it also adjusts the RH, so there is no need to use the humidistat that comes with the humidifier.  Most new houses have an HRV control near the thermostat.  Usually there are unused wires there you can fish over and use on the smart thermostat.

wantboost

Is a steam that much better and do they require alot of maintenance?
What color is the wire usually . Maybe I ll take off my thermostat and check if there's an extra wire . My basement is finished and will be hard to fish a wire all the way up . House is from 1998
G2