email

Author Topic: Flex Pipe for the Fireplace if you use a Telescopic Snorkel Termination  (Read 190 times)

Offline Sergroum

• Pro Tech™
Good Evening.

I was told a strange thing recently that you cannot install a fireplace with a snorkel termination, if you're using a rear exit for the chimney and use a flexible 4/7 vent pipe. I read through the manuals and I fail to find that mentioned anywhere. Is anyone else familiar with this?

Offline Porcupinepuffer

• Pro Tech™
I spent almost 10 years strictly installing gas fireplaces. Because it's special venting, the venting requirements are found in the manual and varies manufacturer and model to model with how to vent the fireplace. You'd be surprised how finicky fireplaces can be when you push the manufacturer's limits to how to vent them... There is no general rule about this.

I do remember certain models of fireplace that when you vent off the back, it has an extremely limited allowable length to then get the venting out the wall for it to function correctly. Quite Often this model wouldn't make it. It then needed to be swung upwards X amount of feet or inches and then penetrate outside. (This was with fireplaces where the customer wanted the top over the fireplace recessed back, or non-existent). It may be similar to that model you're thinking off because the snorkel obviously creates more restriction. Some models of fireplaces don't even count a snorkel as part of the venting requirements. Most make sure to include it since the restriction can be problematic.

Just follow what the manual says and pay attention to wall thickness.

Offline Sergroum

• Pro Tech™
Never replied to this, but I should've.

Thanks for clarifying, Porcupinepuffer. It sort of restored faith in my own sanity :).  Yes. Following the manual is basically the ticket.