OPA Rebate Changes after June 30th, 2017

Started by Admin, March 28, 2017, 01:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) and Ontario's Local Distribution Companies have recently approved changes to the existing Heating and Cooling incentives.  The new eligible equipment and incentives are expected to be introduced by July 1, 2017.   

The IESO will be removing the CAC incentives for the SEER 14.5 & 15 (EER 12 &12.5) from the program as of June 30, 2017 and is planning on introducing incentives for the products linked-to below starting July 1, 2017. 

Download the revised OPA incentives - Here

QuoteCORRECTION - Eligibility Details for Ducted Cold Climate ASHP:  Product Eligibility Details for the Upcoming July 2017 Program Changes

Please be advised of the following correction pertaining to the qualification details for Ducted Cold Climate Air Source Heat Pumps:

*** The additional specification for Cold Climate Heat Pumps to "Have a COP at -15°C(5°F) greater than 2.0 at a max capacity operation and; Maintain a max capacity at -15°C (5°F) that is greater than or equal to 55% of maximum capacity at 8.3°C (47°F)" will only apply to Ductless Cold Climate Air Source Heat Pumps. ***

Cold Climate Ducted Heat Pumps: Must be 15 SEER or higher, 12.5 EER or higher and 8.5 HSPF or higher and must meet NEEP's Cold Climate Air Source Heat Pump Specification (NEEP, 2017 or more recent); no additional COP requirement above and beyond NEEP's current specifications apply to the CC Ducted ASHPs. 

walker

great so only rebates for 18 seer and up units

Admin

I won't renew with the OPA or take another optimization course.

I wonder if they understand, in Ontario, an 18 SEER AC will save you roughly $15 a year when compared to a 15 SEER AC.

Who would spend money on an 18 SEER AC for those savings?!

I attached a picture of the Lennox Energy Savings Calculator below.

If the manufacturers update the AHRI database, I suspect we can use a 16 SEER AC with an upgraded coil, on a furnace with an ECM fan, to achieve 18 SEER.

I achieve 15 SEER using a 13 SEER AC and qualify for the $400 rebate under the current rebate program.

bster352

Spend so much more to save $250 over 15 yrs. to qualify for a $400 rebate SMH. Might as well shut the program down.

walker

Quote from: Admin on March 28, 2017, 03:53:58 PM
I won't renew with the OPA or take another optimization course.

I wonder if they understand, in Ontario, an 18 SEER AC will save you roughly $15 a year when compared to a 15 SEER AC.

Who would spend money on an 18 SEER AC for those savings?!

I attached a picture of the Lennox Energy Savings Calculator below.

If the manufacturers update the AHRI database, I suspect we can use a 16 SEER AC with an upgraded coil, on a furnace with an ECM fan, to achieve 18 SEER.

I achieve 15 SEER using a 13 SEER AC and qualify for the $400 rebate under the current rebate program.

What did you use to achieve a 15 SEER using a 13 SEER condenser?

Admin

https://www.ahridirectory.org/ahridirectory/pages/ac/defaultSearch.aspx

If you search for AHRI #9153340 you will see the following matchup,

Lennox 13ACXN AC + C33-25B Coil + TXV + EL195 Furnace.

All new construction houses have furnaces equipped with ECM fans.  We use the Lennox EL195 and EL296 furnaces.  You can achieve 15 SEER using the 13ACX, up to 2.5 ton.

The AHRI database can be tricky because you have to enter the right model #'s.  My 13ACX-024 AC has to be inputed as 13ACXN024.  Some coils substitute a number with an asterisk.  The ADP coil, LU19/37S9 has to be inputed as L*19/36S9.  Goodman does the same with their model number.  The Goodman GMVC96 has to be inputed as G*VC96.

bster352

That works if you install a Lennox furnace model # EL195UH070XE36B*

Admin

They also have 15 SEER matchups for the EL195-30, EL195-45 and EL195-90.  As long as the 13ACX is a 1.5, 2 or 2.5 ton we can achieve 15 SEER, if a Lennox EL195 or EL296 furnace is installed.

IESO will be one of the speakers at this months HRAI GTA Chapter Meeting Tuesday, April 25th at Fontana Primavera, 77 Woodstream Blvd, Vaughan...

Tuesday, April 25th, 2017
GTA Chapter Presents

Katie Fotheringham of IESO
Provides an update to the IESO program coming July 1, 2017
&
Bruce Manwaring of Enbridge
Discusses the 2017 Home Energy Conservation Program

Everyone welcome!
Register at the door $60 and a delicious four course meal. 

Registration 5:30
Dinner 6:15
Presentations 7:15

Contact me for details 416-556-0579

walker

I think we can all agree the new program is a waste of time.  Anyone who's looking to drop some serious coin on a 18 seer system isn't going to be too concerned with getting a $400 rebate. That's my two cents.