Author Topic: Homeowner - need assistance with determining value of Heatpump/AC unit  (Read 127 times)

Offline raeliera

Hi.  I'm attempting to determine the value of the heat pump unit on the home I just purchased.  I want to sell it as I'm switching to propane for heat.  How can I make that determination?  How can I find out the cost of it when it was new?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
If you find the rating plate on the outdoor unit, post the model and serial numbers.  That will help determine the value.

Offline raeliera

thanks for the response.  This is a Trane XL 15i.  Model # 4TWX5042A1000BA.  Serial # 12283P9B2F.  In very good condition.  No used a lot, but enough to know its in good condition.  Right choice for the people who owned the house before me.  But way too much for me. 

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
I think that was manufactured in 2012, so relatively new.  A 3.5 ton Trane heat pump probably cost around $6500 - $8500 installed.  You will likely only be able to sell the outdoor unit and indoor coil.  I would guess the retail price on the unit and coil was probably around $3500 - $4000 + tax.

Offline raeliera

Yes - is says it was manufactured in 2012.   Is it definitely a 3.5 ton unit?  Do you know that from the model?  What would it be worth used - any thoughts on that?  Where would be the best place to advertise?  Any thoughts on that?  Thanks for your help.