Using a Vanee 90H-V ECM ERV with Carrier Infinity Furnace set to Low Speed

Started by rdasilva, May 10, 2017, 06:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdasilva

I am having a Vanee 90H-V ECM ERV & Platinum Wall control being installed next week. It will be installed in to the return and supply side of the furnace. The furnace is a Carrier Infinity 80k BTU 59MN7A unit. I have the Carrier top of the line Wifi Thermostat and the fan is set to low continuously.

I've read that the furnace fan needs to run when the ERV is being used, so is having the furnace fan on already running at low speed enough for this unit to be efficient? OR do I turn off the fan on the thermostat and setup up the interlock connection from the ERV to the Furnace/Thermostat. Also if I use the interlock feature so that the furnace turns on when the ERV is on, what speed will my fan on the furnace run at.

Flipping through the menus on the Carrier Infinity Wifi Thermostat I see it has a Ventilator function. Is this a third option for me using it I think with a NIM to control the ERV. Would I have proper control of Vanee ERV with the Carrier Thermostat (NIM) and not even have to interlock the ERV to the Furnace in this case and would this also eliminate the Platinum wall control?  Hopefully someone else has had this combination before and can help me out.

Admin

The Vanee manual may approve either a supply & supply or return & supply connection, but the Ontario Building Code says to use a return & return connection,

9.32.3.4. Principal Exhaust
(7) Where an exhaust air intake for the principal exhaust fan is connected directly to the duct system of a forced air heating system or other central air circulating system, it shall,
(a) be connected to the return air side of the system, and
(b) be connected not less than 1 000 mm upstream from any outdoor air supply duct.

9.32.3.11. Heat Recovery Ventilators
(3) Where a heat recovery ventilator is connected to a forced air heating system, the supply side of the ventilator shall be directly connected to the return air side of the forced air heating system.

You're right, if you want to eliminate the Vanee Platinum Wall Control, you can buy the NIM which gives the Infinity Touch control of the HRV.  The interlock would be automatic, so no need to run the interlock wiring.  I'm not 100% but I believe this setup would control the HRV fan speeds only but not the furnace fan speeds.  The last NIM I setup simply closed R & G and started the continuous fan, which in your case would be low speed.  I wouldn't worry too much about furnace fan speeds when you ventilate.  It will take longer to exchange all the air in the home using lower fan speeds, but will still work.

rdasilva

Thank you for your quick response. Regarding the Supply - Return setup, I read in a 2015 topic that it was only in new construction that you could not do that. Has that changed now?

On another note, I am trying to buy a pail of mastic sealant to seal my ducts, but can't seem to find anyone stocking it. I'm out in the Whitby-Oshawa area. Is there an HVAC Supply store that anyone like myself can go and buy the mastic without being an installer. I don't mind going to Ajax, Pickering or Scarborough if required.

Admin

Yes, the Building Code would apply to new construction, but if you sell the house a home inspector could reference the Building Code and consider it a deficiency.  Just make sure if they connect to the supply then position an elbow inside the supply duct, and not simply connect a take off.

We only use tin tape here to seal the ducts and satisfy the Building Code.

rdasilva

Thank you for the info. I have one more question. I have asked for Rigid/metal pipe to be used for better efficiency. Do both pipes going to the return also need to be insulated. I think they are just going to put the flexible R4 pipe over the rigid/metal pipes. Should I ask for R8 instead. I am planning on insulating all the visible return & supply this summer with R8. The basement gets very cold in summer and is usually in low 60's in winter.

Admin

Neither indoor connection needs to be insulated.  In Ottawa the outdoor HRV intake duct needs to be R8 if it's longer than 3m.  The outdoor exhaust duct can be R4.2.