Medium Static Ducted Mini-splits

Started by Sergroum, July 27, 2017, 12:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergroum

Good day.

Does anyone have any experience with these things? The new OPA rebates can give over 2k for use of these, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with these. I contemplated putting one into an attic, but Lennox warned me that they're not ment to be in unheated space. Supposedly, the condensate container is built in such a way that it doesnt evaporate from there, so in the winter the left over water will freeze up and crack the pan.

Did anyone ever work with these? Did you encounter this problem? Any proper way to solve it, short of building an entire heated enclosure?

Jorgebaloy

What do you mean by an unheated space?

The ducted system overcomes another difficulty of ductless mini-splits, too. It can sometimes be difficult to get enough air flow throughout the house with ductless because it can get very expensive to put heads in every bedroom. With the ducted system, you can give each room just what it needs.

Porcupinepuffer

Quote from: Jorgebaloy on July 04, 2018, 12:41:14 PM
What do you mean by an unheated space?

He said in an attic. Since the attic is a separate area insulated at the ceiling, it is unheated. It gets super hot in the summer on a warm day, and super cold at night in winter. Well below freezing.

slo-115

We recently installed a 1 ton Daikin fxmq. It was close to 400cfm. We installed in a 300 sqft additon, in the basement. Hung it off thr floor joists and ducted the basement like a traditional system. Seems to work quite well, very quiet.

Jorgebaloy

The biggest advantages of using ductless Powered Attic Mini-Split Heat Pumps are:

-Unlike powered attic ventilators (PAVs), Mini-Split Heat Pumps won't pull conditioned air from your house. And they don't need to because they make conditioned air right -in your attic, where it's needed!
-Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pumps have no ducts...and thus no duct losses. Ducts in attics are a really bad idea because they waste so much energy.
-In winter, they can make ice-dam-preventing strip heaters unnecessary. Automatically set to heat in winter as well as cool in summer, Mini-Split Heat Pumps will keep the roof so warm that snow will melt immediately and never get a chance to form ice dams.