Cutter for 636

Started by Mmtc79, September 05, 2017, 07:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mmtc79

Anybody use the Milwaukee power cutter for the 636 I've heard different story's I still use the old style pipe cutter and chamfer tool myself

plott hound

we use them at work but you gotta make sure the pipe is nice and warm or it will crack when cutting.also ipex does not approve of their use.

Admin

I have heard that about Ipex but I checked the IPEX guide.  What's the model of this Milwaukee power cutter?

The old Ipex guide said,

Quote2. Pipe must be cut as square as possible. Use a hand saw and miter box or mechanical saw. A diagonal cut reduces bonding area in the most effective part of the joint.
3. System 636 tubing cutters may also be used for cutting plastic pipe; however, some produce a raised bead at the end of the pipe. This bead must be removed with a file or reamer, as it will wipe the cement away when pipe is inserted into the fitting.
4. After cutting remove all burrs from both the inside and outside of the pipe with de-burring tool. Failure to remove burrs can scrape channels into pre-softened surfaces, create hang-ups inside surface walls, or inadvertently plow cement out of the joint during assembly.

The revised Ipex guide says,

Quote2. Pipe must be cut as square as possible since a diagonal cut would reduce the fusing area in the most critical area of the joint.
3. A PVC wheel tube cutter or chop saw shall be used to cut the pipe. Tube cutters will produce a raised edge on the pipe end after cutting which must be removed by a reamer. When cutting with a chop saw, a sharp and fine tooth blade must be used. Chop saws will produce shavings which may remain inside the pipe. Failure to remove these shavings may compromise the performance of the appliance and venting system.
4. After cutting, remove all burrs from both the inside and outside of the pipe and also chamfer the pipe end using a Reed DEB4 deburring tool. Failure to remove burrs can scrape channels into pre-softened surfaces, create hang-ups inside surface walls, or inadvertently plow cement out of the joint during assembly.

bster352

The Milwaukee cutter is for PVC S40 and S80. The 636 is a stronger compound just like Plott Hound said.
Ipex wants you to use the Reed manual pipe cutter. Reed has a kit with the cutter and deburring tool.