Code 8.14.8 (d)

Started by Mmtc79, September 06, 2017, 08:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mmtc79

In regards to this code I thought no vent within 3 feet to 15 feet vertical but it seems ok if ref vented away I've always just stayed away from venting above or near meter

Admin

Yes, the clearance is to the gas regulator not the meter itself.  See the attached document.  Enbridge interprets Clause 8.14.8(d) to mean,

QuoteAbove a meter and regulator means the vertical area above a horizontal plane measured 3' to the left and right of the regulator.

So if your exhaust vent is below the regulator we don't follow Clause 8.14.8(d).  We would only follow Table 5.2 and would require 39" from the exhaust vent to regulator vent outlet.

Mmtc79

Well my problem I have is this job for a pv 50 tank install vent is about 7 feet directly above reg and the inspector is saying he will just vent the reg 3 feet over but what about the 15 feet vertical lol the old code used to read meter and reg assembly

Admin

Yes, you're right.  The B149.1-10 and B149.1-15 now say,

QuoteClause 8.14.8 - A vent shall not terminate
(d) above a regulator within 3 ft (900 mm) horizontally of the vertical centreline of the regulator vent outlet to a maximum vertical distance of 15 ft (4.5 m)

The B149.1-00 said,

QuoteClause 7.14.8 - A vent shall not terminate
(d) above a meter/regulator assembly within 3ft (900 mm) horizontally of the vertical center-line of the regulator vent outlet to a maximum vertical distance of 15 ft (4.5 m)

The B149.1-05 said,

QuoteClause 8.14.8 - A vent shall not terminate
(d) above a meter and regulator assembly within 3ft (900 mm) horizontally of the vertical centerline of the regulator vent outlet to a maximum vertical distance of 15 ft (4.5 m)

Because they removed the word "meter" you can do what the inspector suggests and pipe the regulator vent away.  Just remember to install a screened fitting on the end.  Technically only Enbridge should be doing this, but we can argue the inspector gave you authorization  :)

QuoteClause 4.6.2 - No person other than an employee or person authorized by the supplier or distributor shall perform any alterations, repairs, tests, services, removals, changes, installations, connections, or any other type of work on the supplier's or distributor's system.