Started by Attavior, October 14, 2017, 07:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attavior

Came up in a discussion.  We have a new unit heater being installed in a garage @ a height of 12ft.  Shutoff for the appliance only installed @ the final drop at the appliance - this satisfies "A readily accessible manual shut-off valve for each appliance shall be installed (b) in either the drop or riser of a residential appliance;"  However reading further 6.18.3.2 adds the following:

The requirement for a manual shut-off valve specified in Clause 6.18.2(b) to be readily accessible may be waved when it is located:
(c)not exceeding a height of 9ft from the floor level

Does this mean that all appliances will require an accessible valve no higher then 9ft?   

Porcupinepuffer

I believe you're correct. Under the definition of "readily accessible", they mention it doesn't meet the requirement if you need a ladder to reach it... This becomes a little vague because it will depend on the height of a person who needs to access the valve. Shaq can readily access far more valves then a little person.

So they updated the pink pages to include C to that you can go as high as 9' and it will still be considered readily accessible. A valve will still always be required, but you'll need to make sure there's a valve lower than 9' for access.
My old pink pages only have A and B.

Admin

No matter what, you need a shut off installed immediately upstream of a metallic gas hose.  You would also need to add another shut off if the one at the heater is above 9'.  Because you have the shut off at the heater and it's not accessible, you need to install an accessible shut off within 50' of the heater.

Quote6.18.2 - A readily accessible manual shut-off valve for each appliance shall be installed
(d) within a maximum of 50 ft (17 m) of the individual residential appliance that it serves and shall be identified as to the appliance it serves by means of either:
(i) a metal tag attached to the valve; or
(ii) a clear legible sign displayed in a permanent manner adjacent to the valve; 
(e) so that it is readily accessible

6.18.3.2 - The requirement for a manual shut-off valve specified in Clause 6.18.2 (b) to be readily accessible may be waived when it is located:
(a) behind a residential gas range; 
(b) behind a residential gas clothes dryer; or
(c) not exceeding a height of 9 ft from the floor level .

6.20.5 - A metallic gas hose
(d) when used to connect an appliance to rigid supply piping, shall have a shut-off valve in the piping immediately upstream of the metallic gas hose.

Readily accessible — capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, servicing, or inspection, without requiring climbing over, or the removal of, an obstacle or the use of a portable ladder.

Attavior

That's what I figured.  Thank you both did your replies.

Mmtc79

Don't forget stainless vent if going through sidewall for vent