Author Topic: Wet behind the ears  (Read 124 times)

Offline Luckyluther

  • ***
  • Posts: 2
Wet behind the ears
« on: January 01, 2018, 06:40:43 PM »
Ive spent some time researching but feel overwhelmed with all the information. Ive worked in the business years ago as an unregistered helper and would like to pursue this on my own now. I am sure my questions have been answered at some point on this forum but just cant make sense of it all...please help.

1...other then a G2 what do i need to install (retrofit) residential gas furnaces

2...what do i need to install (retrofit) residential air conditioning units. i have to do an apprenticeship pr is there a way around this?

Thank you for your kind replies.

Offline Porcupinepuffer

  • Pro Tech™
  • *****
  • Posts: 315
Re: Wet behind the ears
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 06:47:50 AM »
1. G2 only. (You're also supposed to obtain the Ipex 636 certification for the venting and possibly other certificates for different types of CSST gas lines, but this is all a walk in the park if you have obtained a G2. They're usually just an hour or two long course)

2. 313D and ODP. The 313D residential air conditioning mechanic is a trade and requires 4500 hours. ODP is an 8 hour course specific to the laws and proper handling of the refrigerants through HRAI.

3. The gas technician course is the easiest to obtain if you go through hi-mark. I believe the G3/G2 is attainable within 6 months from himark. The 313D is a real trade license that takes longer since it does require those hours of experience. They don't count jobs you've done where no air conditioner was present, so it can take time. I'm not sure where you're located, but you can take a two 8 week 313d course at algonquin only if you're a registered apprentice. You'll get the required theory hours. You can choose to challenge it after x amount of years, but the hours need to be there and you really need to know your stuff.

Offline Admin

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 1940
Re: Wet behind the ears
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »
You'll also need a TSSA Contractor Registration Number to operate as a business.

Visit the Ontario Contractors Section,

Offline Luckyluther

  • ***
  • Posts: 2
Re: Wet behind the ears
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 07:46:43 PM »
Thanks for the info. I live in Brantford and want to get my g2. I also work late evenings. Anyone know of a location that has afternoon courses?

Offline bing8866

  • G2 Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3
Re: Wet behind the ears
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 06:14:57 PM »
Good luck for you and me and every body here~~~~