BBQ termination clearane to gas meter and openings

Started by G.P., April 10, 2018, 08:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.P.

From what I recall, a BBQ quick connect cannot terminate within 3 ft of the gas meter regulator and 12" to a door or window.
Just looking to find the code book clause that confirms this. (or the correct one if this is not the case).
Thanks again,
GP

Admin

There are no clearance codes to a BBQ quick connect.

G.P.

Thanks for the update Admin, good to know moving forward.
8-)

scarey8

As Admin stated above, no clearance requirements from the bbq quick connect.  But wildly curious if an operational bbq could be seen as a source of ignition by an inspector Natural Gas or Propane.  Typically wouldn't run into this with Natural gas as the meter sets aren't usually in the rear of homes, but Propane... anything could happen.  Happy trails out there.

G.P.

I may have read it on an installation manual at some point and it stuck with me.  I recall thinking that it is odd because if the gas line needs to go 3' away from the meter and the BBQ hose could allow the home owner to place the BBQ right back to in front of the gas meter as it comes with a 10' hose.
Most meters are at the front or side of the homes in our service area as well.

Admin

The BBQ itself would be considered a source of ignition and would need to be kept 3' from a natural gas regulator.

Most propane BBQ's have the tank and regulator stored below the burners.  For whatever reason these regulators don't require a 10' clearance from a source of ignition.  I don't think these regulators relieve gas.

NoDIY

IF the hose allows the bbq to be moved to within 3 ft of the regulator vent then you have an issue. So best practice would be to ensure clearances is to have the quick connect at least 13ft away... :)

Admin

Good point!  Doesn't Clause 6.20.3 allow using a 30ft hose for portable appliances?  Some clients may replace their 10' hose with a 30' hose.  In this case we would need to keep the quick connect 33' from a gas meter regulator.  ;D

QuoteClause 6.20.3 - When a gas hose is used
(a) for permanent installation, it shall not exceed 10 ft (3 m) in length and shall neither extend from one room to another nor pass through any wall, partition, ceiling, or floor;
(b) for a portable appliance, it shall not exceed 30 ft (9.5 m) unless otherwise stated in the appliance standard;
(c) for connecting a construction heater, it shall be neither less than 15 ft (4.6 m) nor more than 75 ft (24 m) in total length;
(d) for cutting, welding, and preheating equipment, it shall not exceed 100 ft (30 m) in length;
(e) it shall not be subject to a temperature in excess of 125°F (50 °C);
(f) a slip-on end shall not be permitted;
(g) the shut-off valve for the appliance shall be in the gas supply piping or tubing and as close as practicable to the gas hose;
(h) it shall be protected from damage;
(i) the handle or hand wheel of a shut-off valve on an independent connection shall not be closer than 6 in (150 mm) from the handle or hand wheel of any other shut-off valve;
(j) a shut-off valve shall not be placed at floor level or in any other location where it can be turned on by accident; and
(k) from a wall outlet, it shall be

Porcupinepuffer

They don't give away those hoses that are over 10'. I remember the last time we priced one out, it was extremely expensive at our cost..The biggest issue I see with bbq clearances is customers firing up there bbq about 1/2" from their vinyl siding... It becomes extremely difficult to expect basic common sense from the average person.

Admin

HAHAHA yes I have seen a lot of warped siding behind BBQ's.