G1 G2 G3 Phase out

Started by thebulldog, September 26, 2010, 08:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebulldog

So the word is that G1 G2 G3 licences are going to be phased out,
the new trade title is going to be HVAC Technician, there is also some concern that this will also bring
re-licencing exams, it kind of makes sense, politically it would be a money and employment making tool,
look at what happened to the CFAA (canadian fire alarm association certificates, everyone had to re-write
the exam from day one including new changes to the building codes, they got away with it once
so expect they will do it again whenever theres more building code changes, if the technicians would have raised hell the re-writes might have been limited to only the changes to building code.

Admin

Thanks for the heads up.  In a way I'm happy the gas side might finally be recognized as a trade, but having to rewrite and support the fist shaking money making machine, TSSA, is another thing.  I guess the silver lining is that I can sell their exam here!

Brad.B.

Hi,

Anymore word on this?  I was in the CFAA and had to do the mandatory code upgrade course and exam (2009/2010).  The course and exam were only on the new changes to the code, not a whole redo of all the topics in the field.  I thought it was a good thing, a refresher.  But the CFAA has become money-hungry and I got tired of the endless mandatory education credits needed every year, going to fancy hotels and having or'deurves (spelling?).  I'd rather sign in online in my slippers and do it at home.  Make work project.  So I got my G3 now and soon G2 and looking forward to new career.  Always been in electronics so I'm hoping to get eventually into service.  Maybe 313D too down the road. 

If they did make gas technician a trade, wouldn't they give existing technicians red seal status?

Porcupinepuffer

You revived an 8 year old thread. Safe to say there's no sign of any changes anytime soon.

Brad.B.

Just new here and was looking down all the topics.  Cheers!