Author Topic: G3 practical exam  (Read 142 times)

Offline playatwork007

• G2 Supporter
G3 practical exam
« on: July 09, 2018, 04:46:02 PM »
Hi everyone, I am a newbie, I have none of gas trade practical experience.  I did online course for my g3 theory part and I passed TSSA theory exam. Does anybody know if I am able to pass the TSSA practical exam just by watching some videos on youtube? Or where can I learn the practical part? Thanks guys.

Offline Porcupinepuffer

• Pro Tech™
Re: G3 practical exam
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 03:49:44 AM »
you'll need to buy pipe wrenches and start threading fittings together. One of the practical tests for the course was to make a square of black iron with a union that doesn't leak.

Offline playatwork007

• G2 Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 07:06:44 AM »
Thanks puffer, I will buy wrench, what else do I need to buy?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 07:48:46 AM »
The G3 practical skill assessment is fairly straight forward.  The TSSA inspector will book a lab near you at a training center or college.

You will be allowed to use your codebook and will be asked to locate sections or clauses.  Just use the index at the back of the code book for reference.

You will also be tested on pressure testing and purging.  Read Annex H of the code book.  Make sure you know how to cut, ream and thread pipe.  When you seal any threads make sure you don't seal the last two threads at the end of the pipe.  Practice flaring copper and know the difference between a forged and milled flare nut.

You may also be asked about the basic operation of a furnace.  Make sure you know how to test the safeties.  The inspector will want to see you disable the fan motor neutral or remove the fan belt to test the primary limit safety.  You may also have to adjust the manifold pressure.

You may also be asked to test a thermocouple and thermopile.

Good Luck!

Offline playatwork007

• G2 Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 08:21:10 AM »
Thanks for the great info admin, so if I just read the code book and watch some videos online, even I have never physically in practice for anything you have listed, can I pass the practical exam?

Offline Hvacpimp

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 09:15:04 PM »
Am I missing something here boys??? Watching YouTube videos to pass a gas fitter course?? If you were really interested in the trade you would have had wrenches by now and maybe have at least tried to do something hands on? You can watch all the videos you want but you gotta at least try it. Do you really think the tssa guy in the exam will not know you have never physically cut/threaded when he sees you working on it. I'm not trying to put you down but this isn't play time. If you wanted that you should become a plumber lol

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • HVAC TECH GROUP
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 04:07:28 AM »
He already challenged and passed the G3 theory exam and is going to challenge the practical part.  He could go to Home Depot and learn how to thread pipe in an hour.  I bet he would learn more in the field working as a G3 than he would in a course.  At least that was the case for me.

Offline playatwork007

• G2 Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 12:36:40 PM »
Thanks admin, the problem is,

I can't find a job to get practical experience without g3 licence, and I can't get g3 licence without having practical experience.

I offer 200 dollars for anyone who can show me how to cut, thread, flaring, pressure testing and purging, the basic operation of a furnace. adjust the manifold pressure. test a thermocouple and thermopile.

Just the basic staff for me to pass the practical exam will be good enough.

I think it should be done in a few hours if you have all the tools and equipment.

I am able to go anywhere less than 2 hours driving from Toronto. 

Offline Porcupinepuffer

• Pro Tech™
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 03:35:47 PM »
Thanks admin, the problem is,
I can't find a job to get practical experience without g3 licence, and I can't get g3 licence without having practical experience.

TSSA doesn't actually count any hands on experience you may or may not have whether currently or previously employed in the field when it comes to the practical testing. The practical test is part of the process everybody has to go through. It's just that it's done by the school when you take the course and the teacher sends in the paperwork for having done it.
If you're already a hands on guy, you can get the hang of it by watching video's. I've done that plenty of times with fixing things hvac related or not.

Offline playatwork007

• G2 Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 08:18:31 AM »
I did a online course for g3, I didn't physically go to school.

What kind of furnace will be used in the practical exam?

I have a new furnace in my basement I can play around. Its a high efficiency furnace, its totally different than the old furnace.

Offline Hvacpimp

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 11:42:26 PM »
Yes you can watch videos if you know exactly what you will be fixing/working on for example "a brake job on a 97 Camero" and it will show exact what to do. If a newbie is learning how to cut and thread using a sawzall and a rigid 600 what's he gonna do if he gets there and it's a 300? Same with furnaces. We mostly all know the basics but what if he's brand new watching videos on a keeprite and they have an old Clare furnace for example at the testing facility. Then what??
The best thing to do to start is what you said... try to get someone to at least show or teach you a little something first. Again, it's only my opinion and good luck with what u decide.

Offline Porcupinepuffer

• Pro Tech™
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 07:39:18 PM »
I assume you'll be tested and checked on your layout of your codebook. The tssa 2000 act, 212/01, 215/01, latest updated pink pages, and any other important amendments would need to be in there in the right order. You'll have to know how to use your codebook and find codes correctly. Know the procedure for red tagging and differences between immediate and non-immediate hazards.
Gas pipe sizing and the proper tables to look up. What you can and can't do as a G3.

I'm not sure if there would be much quizzing on working on an actual furnace until you're a G2, but you never know what he might ask. He'll try and figure out what you do and do not know.
You definitely need to know the basic ohms law formula and have a good understanding of electricity. It wouldn't be a bad idea to setup a 2' x 2' board with some junction box's, 3 x light bulbs and light sockets, plug, cord, covers, 14/2 wire, switch, wire nuts, and set it up and experiment with different wattages of light bulbs hooked up series and parallel circuits... These are things we had to do in the practical for the g3 in school. Zero logical reason why you couldn't make a similar setup at home. You should be able to purchase all you need for that for well under $100. Just don't go electrocuting yourself.