Barbeque quick connect and convenience outlets

Started by DaveP, July 10, 2018, 08:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveP

Anybody interpret this as BBQ's requiring these "gas convenience outlets".  I take it as or means either or in (b).  I'm not clear or have all these ANSI/CSA standards, but I'm still using quick connects.  Someone got a homeowner all up in arms saying convenience outlets are required.

What standard do BBQ's fall under, and which appliances actually do need these??

(a) gas connectors for gas appliances that are certified to ANSI Z21.24/CSA 6.10 and are not designed for repeated movement after being connected nor for repeated disconnecting and connecting and are not intended to be used with quick-disconnect devices or convenience outlets;

(b) gas connectors for movable gas appliances that are certified to ANSI Z21.69/CSA 6.16 and are designed for repeated movement on a regular basis and could be used with quick-disconnect devices or gas convenience outlets;

(c) gas connectors for outdoor gas appliances and manufactured homes that are certified to ANSI Z21.75/CSA 6.27 and are designed for supplying gas to an appliance for outdoor installation that is not frequently moved after installation and to the gas inlet on a mobile home; and

(d) gas hose connectors for moveable appliances that are certified to ANSI Z21.101/CSA 8.5 and are designed for repeated movement on a regular basis and must be used with gas convenience outlets.

An appliance connection shall satisfy one of the following requirements: (a) An appliance permitted by Clauses 6.20 and 6.21 for use with a gas hose may be connected to the building piping by means of a gas convenience outlet, or by means of a quick-disconnect device, and where a quick-disconnect device is used, a readily accessible manual shut-off valve shall be installed upstream of, and as close as practicable to, the quick-disconnect device.

(b) An appliance permitted by Clauses 6.20 and 6.21 for use with a gas connector that is certified to ANSI Z21.24/CSA 6.10 shall be directly connected to the building piping secure outlet.

(c) An appliance permitted by Clauses 6.20 and 6.21 for use with a gas connector that is certified to ANSI Z21.69/CSA 6.16 may be connected directly to the building piping secure outlet, or by means of a gas convenience outlet, or by means of a quick-disconnect device, and where a quick-disconnect device is used, a readily accessible manual shut-off valve shall be installed upstream of, and as close as practicable to, the quick-disconnect device.

(d) An appliance permitted by Clauses 6.20 and 6.21 for use with a gas connector that is certified to ANSI Z21.101/CSA 8.5 shall be connected to the building piping by means of a gas convenience outlet.

Admin

ANSI Z21.24/CSA 6.10 is for non moveable appliances and cannot use a quick-disconnect or convenience outlet.

ANSI Z21.69/CSA 6.16 is for commercial-grade appliances and can use a quick-disconnect or convenience outlet.

ANSI Z21.75/CSA 6.27 is for non moveable outdoor appliances and ANSI Z21.101/CSA 8.5 is for outdoor decorative appliances or portable appliances and must use a convenience outlet.

The above pertains to gas connectors.  Don't confuse a gas connector with a gas hose.  The BBQ will use a gas hose.  I do not believe (d) under the definition of Gas Connector applies to the gas hose we use on a BBQ.  I believe it's considered to be a solid gas connector.

QuoteGas connector — a factory-fabricated assembly consisting of gas conduit and related fittings designed to convey gaseous fuel from a gas supply piping to the gas inlet of an appliance. A gas connector is not intended for vibration isolation, nor expansion or contraction control. For the purposes of this Code, solid gas connector includes
(d) gas hose connectors for moveable appliances that are certified to ANSI Z21.101/CSA 8.5 and are designed for repeated movement on a regular basis and must be used with gas convenience outlets.

QuoteGas convenience outlet — a permanently mounted hand-operated device that is certified to ANSI Z21.90/CSA6.24 providing a means for connecting and disconnecting an appliance to the gas supply piping by way of a gas hose or gas connector. The device includes an integral, manually operated gas valve with a non-displaceable valve member so that disconnection can be accomplished only when the manually operated gas valve is in the closed position, and is equipped with
(a) a thermal shut-off that stops the flow of gas within a specified ambient temperature range; and
(b) an optional enclosure.

QuoteGas hose — a factory-fabricated flexible hose assembly and related fittings designed to convey gaseous fuel from a gas supply piping to the gas inlet to an appliance.

For a BBQ I would follow Clause 6.11.2 and 6.20.3,

Quote6.11.2 - An appliance connection shall satisfy one of the following requirements:
(a) An appliance permitted by Clauses 6.20 and 6.21 for use with a gas hose may be connected to the building piping by means of a gas convenience outlet, or by means of a quick-disconnect device, and where a quick-disconnect device is used, a readily accessible manual shut-off valve shall be installed upstream of, and as close as practicable to, the quick-disconnect device.

QuoteClause 6.20.3 - When a gas hose is used
(a) for permanent installation, it shall not exceed 10 ft (3 m) in length and shall neither extend from one room to another nor pass through any wall, partition, ceiling, or floor;
(b) for a portable appliance, it shall not exceed 30 ft (9.5 m) unless otherwise stated in the appliance standard;
(c) for connecting a construction heater, it shall be neither less than 15 ft (4.6 m) nor more than 75 ft (24 m) in total length;
(d) for cutting, welding, and preheating equipment, it shall not exceed 100 ft (30 m) in length;
(e) it shall not be subject to a temperature in excess of 125°F (50 °C);
(f) a slip-on end shall not be permitted;
(g) the shut-off valve for the appliance shall be in the gas supply piping or tubing and as close as practicable to the gas hose;
(h) it shall be protected from damage;
(i) the handle or hand wheel of a shut-off valve on an independent connection shall not be closer than 6 in (150 mm) from the handle or hand wheel of any other shut-off valve;
(j) a shut-off valve shall not be placed at floor level or in any other location where it can be turned on by accident; and
(k) from a wall outlet, it shall be located where the passage of persons, vehicles, or equipment across the gas hose is at a minimum.

DaveP

Thanks for the informative reply  :)
Yes I agree 6.11.2 (a) 6.20.3 is the right interpretation also.  Just needed someone to confirm my argument.
Cheers!

Admin

I found this information,

https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/alerts/directive-outdoor-gas-connector-and-hose-requirements

QuoteCSA B149.1 specifies CSA 6.27 as one of the standards to which connectors can be certified but does not specify when a CSA 6.27 connector is to be used. Connectors certified to CSA Standard 6.27 are for outdoor use and shall be used to connect outdoor gas appliances. 

Clause 6.20 allows portable outdoor gas appliances to be connected using a hose connector but does not specify the standard to which hoses are to be certified. Hoses connecting outdoor portable appliances shall be certified to CSA Standard 8.4 Hoses Connectors for Portable Outdoor Gas Fired Appliances

A gas convenience outlet is basically a box with a quick-disconnect that cannot be disconnected without first turning the shut off to the closed position and also includes thermal protection if the temperature reaches 250F.

Download a convenience outlet brochure - Here

The picture below is of a gas hose connector mentioned in the definition of Gas Connector (d), certified to CSA 8.5.  If you use this type of connector you need to use the convenience outlet.  It looks alot like the gas connector we use to connect a gas range, but those connectors are Certified to CSA 6.10, for non moveable appliances.

The second pic is of the normal gas hose certified to CSA 8.4 that can be used with a standard quick-disconnect certified to CSA 6.9. 

They should really add the word "metal" to the definition of Gas Connector (d) before the words "gas hose connectors".

slo-115

I have always installed the quick connector pointing downwards. I have seen many installed horizontally, which must put a little more stress on the fittings. I have even seen guys install them pointing up to the sky. A great way to catch water when the hose is disconnected.

Is anyone aware of any codes to the installation position of BBQ quick connectors?
Thanks

Admin

I do not know of any Codes or instructions regarding the position of the quick-disconnect.  I suppose you could use Clause 4.4.1,

QuoteClause 4.4.1 - All work shall be done in a skillful, thorough manner. Careful attention shall be paid not only to the mechanical execution of the work but also to the arrangement of the installation.

bster352

IMO I would interpret this Clause 6.20.3 (h) it shall be protected from damage as needing a cover therefore a BBQ box.

Admin

I think it's the gas hose that requires protection from damage.