System 636 is there a min distance it needs to extrude from exterior wall ??

Started by wantboost, January 21, 2019, 08:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wantboost

Like the title says .
Is there a minimum it needs to extrude from exterior wall??
G2

Admin

There's nothing stated in the Code or IPEX 636 manual that I know of.  The Royal GVS manual shows a diagram that says the vent pipe must be a minimum 8" from the wall, before the termination fitting.

From the B149.1-15,

Quote8.10.4 - A special venting system or a BH venting system shall be installed in accordance with the terms of its listing and the appliance and vent manufacturer's certified installation instructions.

Quote8.14.11 - A terminus of a vent shall be fitted with a cap either in accordance with the vent manufacturer's installation instructions or in accordance with the installation instructions for a special venting system.

I would say you follow the appliance installation manual above all else.  Most will state the required minimum distance from the vent to the wall.  Some will also list an inside corner clearance that would restrict the distance from the vent to an adjacent wall.

wantboost

What's meant by inside /outside corner ??

That's weird royal says 8  inch for intake yet the chart u posted shows the exhaust sticks out further??
G2

Admin

That chart is just and example from a furnace manual.  The Royal GVS manual shows another figure that says 8" to the exhaust vent.

Hvacpimp

wantboost

So 12 "a way from wall as per diagram??

Quote from: Admin on January 21, 2019, 10:12:16 PM
There's nothing stated in the Code or IPEX 636 manual that I know of.  The Royal GVS manual shows a diagram that says the vent pipe must be a minimum 8" from the wall, before the termination fitting.

From the B149.1-15,

Quote8.10.4 - A special venting system or a BH venting system shall be installed in accordance with the terms of its listing and the appliance and vent manufacturer's certified installation instructions.

Quote8.14.11 - A terminus of a vent shall be fitted with a cap either in accordance with the vent manufacturer's installation instructions or in accordance with the installation instructions for a special venting system.

I would say you follow the appliance installation manual above all else.  Most will state the required minimum distance from the vent to the wall.  Some will also list an inside corner clearance that would restrict the distance from the vent to an adjacent wall.
G2

Porcupinepuffer

I often see a minimum of 6" from the end of the termination to the wall with most water heaters. I often see a certain brand of furnace manual wanting a minimum of 12" from the wall. I always go by the manual since the termination requirements constantly change and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Outside corner clearances are not typically existent or too bad, but the inside corner clearances on some furnaces can be so picky that you won't even have a wall to vent the furnace on. (Carrier Modulating furnaces).