Accidently turning on a/c during winter???

Started by wantboost, March 07, 2019, 06:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wantboost

What would/could happen?? If air conditioner is turned on by someone in the winter .
G2

Admin

Some models don't have high or low pressure switches.  If a cover were installed outside the compressor may overheat but should be protected by thermal overload.  Hopefully the breaker trips.

A low ambient temperature may cause low suction pressure and the indoor coil may freeze.  Some AC's have low ambient controls that allow the AC to cycle and run during the winter.  Oil could migrate out of the compressor and cause damage to the compressor while it's running.

I've seen a bunch of AC's run during the winter due to improper HRV or ventilation interlock wiring, but I've never seen any fail as a result.

wantboost

Quote from: Admin on March 07, 2019, 09:28:34 PM
Some models don't have high or low pressure switches.  If a cover were installed outside the compressor may overheat but should be protected by thermal overload.  Hopefully the breaker trips.

A low ambient temperature may cause low suction pressure and the indoor coil may freeze.  Some AC's have low ambient controls that allow the AC to cycle and run during the winter.  Oil could migrate out of the compressor and cause damage to the compressor while it's running.

I've seen a bunch of AC's run during the winter due to improper HRV or ventilation interlock wiring, but I've never seen any fail as a result.
so I guess on rental properties I should leave the exterior disconnect off ....
G2

walker

Quote from: wantboost on March 11, 2019, 04:38:53 PM
Quote from: Admin on March 07, 2019, 09:28:34 PM

so I guess on rental properties I should leave the exterior disconnect off ....

well that becomes a call back in the spring

Admin

A good call back though if you get to charge the landlord.  ;D

Let the landlord worry about tenants.  The landlord should cover the AC in the winter and turn off the breakers, then return in the spring and do the opposite.  If they pay you to service the furnace in the fall and the AC in the spring you can ask the landlord if that's something they want you to do.

Unfortunately alot of landlords are lazy and don't explain things to tenants, who themselves are usually unwilling to even replace a filter.

wantboost

How do I get tenants to change the filters??
I DONT cover my a/c I ll go in the spring and restore it . Idont wanna chance it 
G2

harshal

As admin says the good call back.everyone understands the language of the money,keep milking until they wants to do,I will replace the filter and keep changing them.

wantboost

It's my own rental property.  So I'm asking what to do as a owner
G2

Admin

If I was a landlord I would install a thermostat that gives me total control.

Nest has a lock feature and Ecobee has an access control feature.  You should be able to limit what temperatures can be set and what equipment can be used.

wantboost

Dont I need wifi access to set this up ??
If i dont have wifi access how can I switch equipment for the different seasons without going there ?

Will it give me a temp range that tenants can adjust the temp or locks it out completely???
G2

Admin

The Ecobee 4 access control settings have to be adjusted at the thermostat and those settings don't appear on the App.  So you would still have to make seasonal visits.  I think there's a lot of non WiFi thermostats that will do the same thing.  And you can also lock in temperature ranges the tenants can't go over or under.  I'm not exactly sure what the NEST App settings are like.  Both advertise similar options.

slo-115

The cheaper honeywell T3 has upper and lower temperature limits for both heating and cooling. You can lock the screen as well and have a auto changerover setting. An anti ice control strapped onto the suction line interrupting the Y outside will help save the system from plugged air filter related issues.  At least preventing a frozen coil

wantboost

How does the auto changeover work ? By date ?

Quote from: slo-115 on March 18, 2019, 07:43:47 PM
The cheaper honeywell T3 has upper and lower temperature limits for both heating and cooling. You can lock the screen as well and have a auto changerover setting. An anti ice control strapped onto the suction line interrupting the Y outside will help save the system from plugged air filter related issues.  At least preventing a frozen coil
G2

Admin

wantboost

Was checking out specs . I think only the t5 does this temperature limit ??

Quote from: slo-115 on March 18, 2019, 07:43:47 PM
G2

slo-115

Your right, its the Honeywell TH6210U2001/U T6 Pro, i was thinking of. Its not wifi but has all the deluxe features and is very inexpensive. I installed one last year in a 3 unit apartment building, it worked well for the owner.

wantboost

G2