htp Versa Hydro combi unit.

Started by Sergroum, July 06, 2019, 11:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergroum

Hello, hello.

Another unit that I dont think is seen very often.

An HTP Versa Hydra Combi Boiler.

PHE 130-80

Found it's combustion blower faulty and replaced it. No biggie. But after replacing, the ignition showed itself to be weird. It was odd whistling noise and fails to remain lit. Spurts and blorts of gas, tiny ignitions and finally locking out on a no flame sensed. The gas also exfiltrating into the room that the gas is in.

Thought maybe the intake/exhaust pipes are blocked and opened them. They seem normal, the exhaust is definitely venting. But the gas flow is acting all kinds of strange. Spoke briefly with the tech support, but without even really hearing the details of the problem, he went into a "This unit hasnt been maintained, it's probably ruined and needs to be replaced" spiel the moment I mentioned I found it's blower fan to have failed.

Didnt check the gas pressure, though I figure it's unlikely that a gas valve and an inducer fan would fail at the same time.

Admin

Are you sure there wasn't some kind of restrictor disc on the old motor?  Sometimes you have to remove them and re-install them on the replacement motor.  It sounds like the unburnt gas is not being exhausted out the vent.  Is there a hole in the heat exchanger? 

Sergroum

Well. It's a water heater. A hole in the heat exchanger. Truth be said I've never encountered that on tank boilers. I mean what happens? Does the water leak in? I dont think I could possibly check that, since it refuses to stay lit for more then miliseconds.

Restrictor disks. Ooophh. There was definitely a lot there. It's a pretty unique system. There are no burners per se. Gas is being sent straight into the combustion fan assembly and the fan pushes the gas mixed with air towards a spark igniter. I 'believe' I've reassembled all of it properly.

I did notice that I'm missing out on a lot of variable gaskets. The motor came with one gasket for attachment into the heat exchanger, but the old one had gasket before and after. I have not siliconed it yet. It was somewhere around midnight and I didnt have fire rated silicone. Could the lack of gasket between a spark igniter, or flame sensor cause this?

So far, the symptoms that I'm experiencing is the unstable popping flame bursting that dies immediately. Also some moisture began to accumulate just beyond the fan entrance.

I too suspect that the gas is not being vented out, but I dont understand why. There is definitely air pressure at the vent pipe and intake. I opened both of them to confirm. There could be blockage within the unit itself, but then how come I feel a steady air pressure out of exhaust vent.

bster352

If you haven't solved this and are in Toronto call Next Plumbing and ask for Steve Goldie. He is THE HTP guy.