Can't Increase RH in Home - Help!

Started by 1967HOME, December 24, 2019, 02:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1967HOME

Hello,

I live in Calgary, AB and live in an older home built in the late 1960's. I have 2 furnaces (one for the basement and main floor and the other for the second floor). It is winter now, and depending on area of the house I can't seem to increase RH above 20%. I have older humidifiers on both furnaces that run when the furnaces are on (General 1043-L, manufactured in 1997). I have replace the pads this season (metal with clay) and can confirm that there is a steady stream of water entering the unit. The drain pipe also has a constant/low flow of water coming out the end. Please help!

Hgye

I would switch to a steam humidifier like the Aprilaire 800.  It is a way more efficient and you will be able to dial in your humidity to exactly where you want it.

walker

Quote from: Hgye on December 25, 2019, 08:34:08 AM
I would switch to a steam humidifier like the Aprilaire 800.  It is a way more efficient and you will be able to dial in your humidity to exactly where you want it.

you think its efficient until you get your first hydro bill.

Hgye

I have mine on a timer so it only comes on during low peak hours.  I don't even notice a difference in my electricity bill.

Porcupinepuffer

Quote from: walker on December 29, 2019, 09:36:09 AM
Quote from: Hgye on December 25, 2019, 08:34:08 AM

you think its efficient until you get your first hydro bill.

Hydro is 100% efficiency. Can't get better than that!  ;D

walker

Quote from: Hgye on December 29, 2019, 06:01:44 PM
I have mine on a timer so it only comes on during low peak hours.  I don't even notice a difference in my electricity bill.

I put in an aprilaire steam humidifier in a 3800SQFT home, customers hydro bill went up $200-300 in the dryer months

1967HOME

Thanks for the feedback. When you say hydro you mean power bill and not water bill, correct? Amazing that a humidifier would use that much power.

Do you think my existing humidifiers just aren't powerful enough due to square footage and the amount of air & humidity my house leaks? Is the Aprilaire 800 much more powerful?

My main floor and upstairs are ~2600 sq. Feet but also have a 1,200 sq ft basement which is heated by  one of the 2 humidifiers.

Thanks for your help!

Admin

Do you run an HRV by chance?  Turning that off may help.

Otherwise one thing you can try before replacing equipment is to switch the water supply from cold to hot and see if that helps.  This only works with a tank type water heater.

1967HOME

No HRV. I don't think I can easily run hot water to the humidifiers unfortunately.

Sergroum

Quote from: walker on December 30, 2019, 10:09:53 AM
Quote from: Hgye on December 29, 2019, 06:01:44 PM

I put in an aprilaire steam humidifier in a 3800SQFT home, customers hydro bill went up $200-300 in the dryer months

Are you hooking up 120v to it, or 220?

Hgye

220 with the highest amperage option.