Clearance Confusion

Started by Admin, October 05, 2007, 09:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Here is an email I have sent to TSSA regarding a September 24, 2007 Contractor Bulletin, released by Enbridge.
I guess CSA has some work to do, correcting their imperial to metric conversions.

QuoteMr. LeVasseur,

1.  This is regarding Table 5.2, of the B149.1-05 code.  Clearance from discharge to a source of ignition.  It states that 3 feet or 1 meter is a required distance from the regulator vent to a source of ignition.  3 feet = .9 meters.  1 meter = 3 feet 3 inches.  What distance are we supposed to adhere too?  Enbridge gas released a contractor bulletin September 24, 2007, stating;

"The distance from a regulator vent outlet to a source of ignition is listed as 1.0 m, not 3ft or 0.9m, this distance is mandated by the Ontario Electrical Code.  As such, a regulator vent must be located a minimum of 1.0m from any part of an outdoor air conditioning unit or receptacle.  Any portion of an outdoor air conditioning unit or receptacle is considered to be a source of ignition."

Can you clarify what distance is the correct distance according to the B149.1-05 code?  Obviously CSA needs to amend the B149.1-05 code, as their existing distances are inaccurately converted.
Are we supposed to follow the Ontario Electrical Code or the B149.1-05 Gas code?

Clause 4.1.2 of the B149.1-05 code states;

"When specification or document referenced in Clause 2 contains a requirement that conflicts with a requirement in this Code, the requirement in this Code shall govern."

Section 2 contains the C22.1-02 Canadian Electrical Code, Part I.  So does this mean, regardless of what Enbridge and the Electrical Code are saying the B149.1-05 code governs, and that 3ft is the required distance?  3 inches could turn out to be a problem in some situations, so absolute clarification would be appreciated.

2.  This is regarding Clause 8.14.8, subsection (d) of the B149.1-05 code.  Vent termination.

"A vent shall not terminate, above a meter and regulator assembly within 3ft (900mm) horizontally of the vertical centerline of the regulator vent outlet to a maximum vertical distance of 15ft (4.5m);"

In the Enbridge Contractor Bulletin Sept 24, 2007 it states;

"Above a meter and regulator means the vertical area above a horizontal plane, measured 3ft (0.9m) to the left and right of the regulator vent outlet."

Am I right is saying that I can terminate my vent directly above or beside the gas meter and regulator, as long as it is at least 3ft from the regulator vent outlet?  For example, if the regulator vent outlet has been extended away from the meter and regulator...
The way Enbridge has interpreted this Clause, it seems that the issue is not the meter and regulator but the regulator vent outlet.

Thanks again for all the help,

Admin

Reply from TSSA,

QuoteI can not speak to C22.1-02 part I of the electrical code and what it states, however as stated in the ON B149.1-05, this code shall govern and therefore 3' shall be excepted as the acceptable clearance.

QuoteBoth the regulator vent outlet and meter assembly must be taken into considertation. The meter and regulator run the risk of freezing up if the plume of the exhaust covers the meter or regulator and then freezes.  If an OPCO regulator were installed or the regulator vent extended, you can vent beside the meter but not above, as long as clearances in Table 5.2 and Clause 8.14.8(d) were met.

Admin

I just keep any gas exhaust vent 3' from the regulator vent outlet.  Also I never install a gas vent above the meter or regulator, within 3' horizontally, unless it's above 15'.

Porcupinepuffer

I've never had an issue with the 3' clearance or heard of anybody running into that problem.
For the venting above, I've always seen the owners manual show the high distance above the centerline of the meter and not within 3' of it for the reasons of freezing from the exhaust.
I recently saw a furnace install on a neighbor's house where it was installed 5' above, but only 2' horizontal of the regulator/meter.

walker

Kind of like this install in the pic attached?? lol.

This was done by a hack that I used to work with, it was his cousins house or something.  They actually called a company to pay and fix the air conditioner instead of calling their own family member to fix it lol.

Good thing he's good at lying to customers and not fixing things, because the only he's good at fixing is sandwiches.

Attavior

Riser is also not sleeved which is also another issue, although that's covered under Z662 as its before the meter.

Admin

I'm not very familiar with the Z662 Code.  Does it need to be sleeved for mechanical protection or because the metal riser is passing up through concrete?

Attavior

Sorry just seen this now. 
Sheer protection should the frost heave the riser has space to move. 

B149 does state:

When piping or tubing is laid under pavement and an entry to a building is made above ground level, a sleeve shall be inserted to protect the piping or tubing where it comes through the pavement to permit free movement of the soil and covering without placing strain on the piping or tubing.

States pavement, but it be a good practice for any solid ground covering where there could be strain on the riser. 

Jutzi46

I recently received slightly a different answer from a TSSA engineer. When I asked about a similar discrepancy in the Fuel Oil code I was told that the metric is considered the "true" clearance and all imperial measurements are there for reference only.

Admin

Also Clause 8.14.8(d) was amended in the B149.1-10 and B149.1-15,

Quote(d) above a regulator within 3 ft (900 mm) horizontally of the vertical centreline of the regulator vent outlet to a maximum vertical distance of 15 ft (4.5 m);

They removed the word meter, so our only concern is with the regulator vent outlet.