Direct vent Fireplace

Started by PeterT, October 26, 2007, 10:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterT

On a direct vent gas fireplace under 100,000BTUS is there the same clearance to window openings and building openings as there are for gas furnace vent terminations in Ontario by the TSSA. I am trying to find the clause in the new code book.

Admin

Clause 8.14.8 pertains to all vent terminations.  Unless your installing a pool heater use the table below.  The pool heater needs 10' from a building opening as per Clause 8.14.10.

Quote(8.14.8) A vent shall not terminate
(a) directly above a paved sidewalk or paved driveway that is located between two single-family dwellings and serves both dwellings; This does not apply to non-condensing appliances;
(b) less than 7 ft above a paved sidewalk or a paved driveway that is located on public property;

10,000 - 100,000 BTU's

(c) (d) (e) (f) (g)                                                                            
Mechanical air supply  = 6'                                                 
Regulator vent outlet = 3'                                        
Grade level = 1'                                        
Window and door = 1'                                                                                           
Non mechanical air supply = 1'
Combustion air inlet = 1'   

You only need 1' from a window.

PeterT

So if someone has installed a direct vent fireplace with less than 1 foot from a window that opens what are the consequences. Why I ask is someone has come to me as they see my truck in the driveway all the time and a neighbour of their's has installed a gas fireplace and the neighbour can smell the fireplace coming in their window. I don't want to get into a neighbour hood fight over it but was asked what the code said. And what they could do about it.
Peter

Admin

This person's neighbour has a fireplace termination less then 1' from their own window???  These houses must be built close together!

Well there are only 2 ways to comply to the code.

1. Follow Director's Advisory FS-106-07 and make the window unopenable.
2. Relocate the termination

Obviously the neighbour should not have to seal the window.  I would force the owner of the fireplace to relocate the termination.

PeterT

No the window that the neighbour is asking about is the one in the house that has the fireplace that is less than 1 foot away. He says he can still smell it when the wind blows the right way. I guess he is looking for away to get the neighbour to move it.