Brazing fumes burning refrigerant

Started by mattmctree, May 16, 2017, 06:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattmctree

It's happened to me a few times in the past and just happened again today. A system that had a burnt out compressor I was sweating off was in a tight area and I got a few good doses of fumes and smoke from the refrigerant / oil remaining in the tubing. Coughing quite a bit and burning eyes . I'm sure this has happened to everyone at one point . My question is should I be concerned about health issues? I'm sure the fumes have phosgene and have heard they are highly carcinogenic too. Are there respirators etc that will protect against this. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've got a young family and want to work safe so I'm around for another 7 decades. ( hopefully). I know from now on I'll just cut out the fittings and braze in new ones which should help some.

Work safe.

harshal

The exposure of this kind of the fumes never good.i m not sure about the specific mask about I.however if u can reduce the exposure by reducing time on the job or to do it quicker way.as u mentioned u would cut the pipe before the male end and wipe the oil as much as possible then re the fitting.allso in most of cases u can cut a bit of copper as well.

Porcupinepuffer

What refrigerant were you dealing with? I've had the odd whiff in a similar situation a couple years back on a 410a system. Only annoyed me for the fraction of a second. Definitely don't want to experience it again.

mattmctree

i was dealing with r 22. im just concerned about long term health effects. most saftey wholesalers dont have any respirators fo chemical agents. im wondering if there are special industrial  respeirator /gas masks that would offer protection. a scba would work but seems overkill.

walker

dont breath that shit in, it burns your lungs, it has to be terrible for you. Whenever doing a compressor changout I always wrap a rag around my face and wear goggles,