Should I invest in a new HVAC system?

Started by Xlinbee, July 31, 2019, 06:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xlinbee

Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum and look forward to having a nice interaction with you all. I have a query related to HVAC systems. Our office is inside a two-story building. Recently we have been facing problems with our air conditioning systems. This is a 5 ton Lennox central AC system that we are talking about. It is almost 25 years old, still has been operating smoothly for many years. We have been doing the regular maintenance of the AC and has been in service for almost 23 years. It didn't have any leaks but had an occasional starting issue over the last 2 years. This year recently it just stopped and won't start. I called a technician who said that the transformer is bad. However, he said replacing it wouldn't solve the problem. At first, I thought it was a relay or a magnetic switch that was bad, I was told otherwise. Now I have the option to install a new AC system by commercial HVAC service companies in Mississauga, or paying a large amount to fix this one. How much life can one expect to get out of a system like this one? Should I be investing in a new HVAC system? I have heard of systems that are going on for around 35 years. Please give your valuable insights on this one. Thank you.

Sergroum

Hello

Everyone heard of those systems that lasted 35 years. Everyone heard them, very few actually had them. For each unit that we take out that's 30+ years, we take out dozens that are between 15-20 years.

A transformer seems to be a very minor problem and will not cost you too much, but I would think twice about investing money into a system that is older then 20 years. Any what so ever problem that somehow touches refrigerant gas and the bill for repair will be triple then what changing transformer ended up being.

Porcupinepuffer

Quote from: Xlinbee on July 31, 2019, 06:04:19 AM
I called a technician who said that the transformer is bad. However, he said replacing it wouldn't solve the problem.

Sounds like you need a competent tech to properly diagnose the issue first.

Sergroum

From your own experience. Aside something basic like a loose wire, assuming the transformer diagnoses is wrong. What would be the cheapest repair that he would ever get on a 25yr Lennox?