pumping down a ac unit for relocation

Started by mattmctree, October 09, 2012, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattmctree

Today I was sent to pumpdown the refrigerant back to the condenser and seal up the line set as the homeowner was building a deck. I've pumped down units before however had an odd thing happen. I closed off the discharge valve and push in the contactor to operate the system, I couldn't get the unit to pump down much past 50 without the condensing unit making odd noises. It sounded almost like a metalic grating sound. Any ideas? I won't be installing the unit for a couple of month but wanted to know if any other techs think I may have caused any damage.

All advice welcomed
Thanks

Admin

I hear the "death rattle" on alot of Goodman units I pump down.  It's pretty much unavoidable.

Some of the newer American Standard units cannot be pumped down.  There's not enough capacity in the outdoor unit.  The manufacturer is able to store it all but once the installer opens the service valves the only option is to recover the refrigerant.

plott hound

with the newer yorks,you cant pull back more then the factory charge.if extra refridgerant was added to the system it must be removed before pumpdown.

mattmctree

do you guys think that i fucked the compressor by doing so?