Director's Order FS-195-12 - Majestic Fireplace FSDV Ontario Ban

Started by Admin, September 17, 2012, 04:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

You can download Director's Order FS-195-12 - Here

QuotePursuant to section 14 of the Technical Standards and Safety Act, 2000, the Director requires the following:

1. The following Gas Fireplaces manufactured by CFM Inc. (Majestic Fireplace) and bear the trade names Insta-Flame or Northern Flame shall not be sold, leased, rented, installed or used in Ontario:
(a) Natural Gas Fired Direct Vent Free Standing Fireplace – Model FSDV22, FSDV30 and FSDV32Series, and
(b) Propane-Fired Direct Vent Free Standing Fireplace – Model FSDV22, FSDV30 and FSDV32 Series,

2. This Safety Order is effective immediately.

Dated at Toronto this 14th day of September, 2012.

Additional Information: Refer to attachment #1 for important notice regarding the above fireplaces.

*UPDATE* Download the October 23, 2012 TSSA Media Release - Here

QuoteFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (Toronto, ON, October 23, 2012) – The Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) has banned a series of natural gas and propane-fired direct vent freestanding fireplaces manufactured by CFM Inc., also known as Majestic Fireplace, in the province of Ontario due to an explosion risk.

A Director's Order was issued on September 14 prohibiting the sale, lease, rental, installation or use in Ontario of the following gas fireplaces manufactured by CFM Inc. (Majestic Fireplace):  All Insta-Flame and Northern Flame natural gas or propane-fired direct vent freestanding fireplaces with 'FSDV22' or 'FSDV30' or 'FSDV32' in the model name or number.

Any Insta-Flame and Northern Flame natural gas or propane-fired direct vent freestanding fireplace with the prefix 'R' in the model name or number is not included in the Director's Order.

TSSA has investigated several incidents involving these fireplaces where a delayed ignition triggered an explosion, spraying shards of glass and causing personal injury. In April 2012, tests were conducted on a sample Majestic Fireplace and after further analysis, the public safety risk was confirmed.

Health Canada and the British Columbia Safety Authority have issued similar warnings on their respective websites: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca and http://www.safetyauthority.ca. A copy of TSSA's Director's Order is available at: http://www.tssa.org/corplibrary/ArticleFile.asp?Instance=136&ID=F269ED5300F811E289637673E00B94C4

Homeowners are advised to check the rating plate, which is typically located at the bottom of the fireplace near the gas controls, to confirm whether their fireplace is subject to the Director's Order. Homeowners who are uncertain whether their fireplace is banned should call a TSSA-certified fuel technician to confirm whether their fireplace is subject to the Director's Order.

Anyone with any of the banned fireplaces should immediately turn off the gas supply, stop using the fireplace and contact a TSSA-certified fuel technician to permanently disable and dispose of the fireplace. A retrofit kit is unavailable as the company is out of business. To ensure a contractor is registered in Ontario, call TSSA toll-free at 1-877-682-TSSA (8772). You can also visit www.tssa.org for a list of certified contractors.

MaryMac

Hi everyone.  We own two Majestic Insta-flame propane stoves, purchased through Irving in 1999 (we live in Nova Scotia).  We received notice through Irving that they are now considered unsafe (notice is on TSSA and Health Canada websites). Subsequent to our receiving the notice from Irving info was posted on Health Canada and TSSA websites that models that have an "R" in them are ok and not part of this advisory.  Ours are IRFSDV32 models.  I've been told by Irving that these models are covered by the advisory and have to be disconnected, but a retailer told us the I is for Irving and the R is for Revised and our stoves are ok.  The stoves are off and the gas has been turned off at the tank.  Irving is going to send a technician next week to cap the lines as they are required to by law.  Can anyone tell me what the "R" means?  The latest notice on the TSSA site dated October 23rd says any model with R in the prefix are ok, but Irving says according to their records ours have to go.  There seems to be a lot of confusion about this as every dealer I've talked to had a different answer.  Help!

Admin

I'm not 100% sure what the prefix "R" stands for but it could stand for "Revised" like the retailer explained.

Even the Irving Energy website says,

QuoteModels with the prefix "R" (for example: RFSDV22, RFSDV30 and RFSDV32) are not included in this advisory.

The Health Canada website was updated October 15, 2012 to clarify the description of the products affected.

QuoteNatural gas and propane-fired direct vent free-standing fireplaces manufactured by CFM Inc. (Majestic Fireplace) that bear the trade names Insta-flame or Northern Flame (Models FSDV22, FSDV30 and FSDV32, Series). The word "Series" includes all suffixes and prefixes associated with these models except models with the prefix "R" which are not included in this advisory.

And like you said the TSSA issued a Media Release October 23 saying the same thing,

QuoteAny Insta-Flame and Northern Flame natural gas or propane-fired direct vent freestanding fireplace with the prefix 'R' in the model name or number is not included in the Director's Order.

All three sources seem to agree, any FSDV model with the prefix "R" in the model name are not included in this advisory.  The question is whether or not the same holds true for models with the prefix "IR" in the model name.  I wouldn't tear out the fireplace just yet.  Give them time to clarify if the models with the prefix "IR" are also exempt from TSSA Director's Order FS-195-12.  I suspect they are exempt.

MaryMac

Thanks.  I sent an email to the TSSA asking if they can clarify and will call Health Canada tomorrow (although they refer questions to the TSSA website, and the TSSA says to check with a certified technician if there is any uncertainty about whether a particular model is covered).  Once I get an answer I'll post it here as I have a feeling there will be lots of other people wondering!