Isolation Ward and Airlock Room CFM

Started by nago, January 18, 2013, 07:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nago

Good Day people.

This is my first attempt of designing a hospital building HVAC. I would like to know how do we determine the air flow CFM for a isolation ward which attached to an airlock room. From my understanding, the isolation ward and the airlock room have to be set as a negative pressure room. how do we configure the airflow for such condition. what is the relation between CFM and Pressure?

The isolation ward (with Toilet) connected to the corridor by the airlock room.

Admin

Just curious is this for a project on paper or are you an Engineer or certified in any way?  I'm not sure designing systems to protect patients from infectious disease is something you can learn on the fly.

You will have to read the codes and standards that govern in your area.  In Ontario you should start by reading the Ontario Building Code and CAN/CSA-Z317.2-01 - Special Requirements for Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Systems in Health Care Facilities.

Some patients may require positive pressure rooms and some negative pressure rooms.  Usually you need at least 12 air changes per hour, per patient.  You'd have to determine the volume of air in the room then size and balance the ventilation equipment accordingly.  You're aiming for between 2.5 Pa and 8 Pa as a pressure differential between areas.

I've attached pictures below of how negative and positive anterooms are configured.

Rustymike

If your going to be designing an air system for a Hospital or an Isolation room within Ontario, you also have to be accredited by both the Canadian and Ontario Hospital Assn's and the provincial government before you are allowed to work for the medical facility.
It took the company I worked for close to 2 years to get approvals before we could take on even minor hospital renovation design work of the nature your talking about.