Copper water lines into water tank

Started by walker, October 11, 2013, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walker

I'd like to know if it is in the plumbing code that water tanks must have a certain amount of copper pipe coming out of the water tank? I've been told 6" by some techs and 18" by other techs, and some techs have said it doesnt matter, the reason im asking is im thinking of using some of those sharkbite connections that have the fitting and shut off built in to save time.  does these meet the plumbing code requirements? or do i have to a certain length of copper before i can tie in with the sharkbite fittings?

example:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/18-inch-water-heater-connector-1-2-inch-with-ball-valve/966747

harshal

MOST OF TIMES I HAVE SEEN SOME COPPER LEFT ON BOTH SIDE OF WATER HEATER(I.E. COLD N HOT SIDE)WHERE THEY USE PEX PIPE FOR PLUMBING SYSTEM.HOWEVER NOT SURE ABOUT THE PLUMBING CODE REGARDING THIS.I WOULD CHK THE INSTALL MANUAL FOR SOME INFO,IS THE CONNECTOR NOT PRICY?

walker

Yeah its definitely more expensive, but ill pass that cost on to my customer. And the the time it will save me is the real benefit.

I just want to make sure it abides by the code.

Admin

There's nothing in the building code, gas code or any installation manual that says copper must be used.  I don't have a plumbing code book, but if a flexible connector can be used on a dishwasher or sink, I don't see why can't be used on a water heater.  I would try to find a 3/4" connector rather than using a 1/2" one.

Most people will use a minimum of 6" of copper when soldering to avoid melting any plastics in the water heater adapters.  Your local codes probably require a mixing valve which would be hard to install without using some copper.

99blacksi

Plus it's always nice to have a bit of copper for grounding clamps

walker

Thanks for the advice.

If the rest of the system is pex, having 6" for grounding clamps won't help.

There is already a mixing valve so I just gonna cut-off below that and use these Shark Bite Fittings

chewy

Shark bite fittings are the greatest...Nice and fast and easy to work with. Perfectly legal...

Tod

The installation instructions may recommend how much should be in copper.

Android412

I install water heaters frequently for work, and was always told the 6" rule, although I'm not sure if it's code...and honestly there are some older homes with very low basements/crawlspaces where its not physically possible.

I was also told you shouldn't use PEX right into the tank, because on conventional draft tanks if it were to back draft at all for any reason, it could melt the PEX and flood the house.

walker

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm going to just use the copper for the first 6" just to be safe, and plus it'll be easier to use the barb fitting for the humi with some copper there.

Ted Mosby

Are you talking sharkbite tanktop adapters? I know they are easiest up front but in the past year I have had no less than 4 calls for a leak from a sharkbite tanktop adapter. The plastic cracks. I love how easy sharkbite fittings are to use but I won't use the tank tops.

walker

Yeah I did use them to connect to the tank, first time trying it. I'll wait and see if any problems arise in the future. So far so good.