My pilot ignites but won't light burners

Started by Nikki7732, February 24, 2015, 03:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikki7732

Hi everyone,  I have been looking everyone for help for a problem that I'm having with my furnace.  Its an older 80s model I believe, model #376BAW036075 (I think its Carrier).  The problem is that the fan is always blowing and the pilot is lit but it will not light the burners!  I've been looking online for help since I'm a single mom who can't afford much.  I'm hoping to fix it myself.  Any ideas?

Admin

That's similar to a Carrier but it's either a Bryant, Day & Night or Payne furnace, and yes it's old.  Usually when the fan is running continuously for no reason it's a sign a safety has tripped.  It just doesn't make sense that if a safety has tripped the pilot would light.

Given the fact the furnace is 25+ years old it would not be wise to simply reset safeties without having an experienced person inspect the furnace.

Is there an LED light somewhere on the control board that is flashing a code?  There should be a sticker on one of the doors that tells you what each flash code means.

The exhaust motor should start and close the pressure switch.  The pressure switch is sending 24V back to the control board and energizing the pilot to light.  At that point the control board should be sending 24V to the gas valve and the burners should fire up.  Does the pilot assembly have 3 wires (green, yellow, white) and an orange ignition cable going to it?  My guess is the pilot burner is bad, but the fact the fan is running continuously could mean a bad control board.  Are you sure the thermostat fan is set to AUTO and not ON?

I wish I could be more help but I can't even find a manual online.