Garage Unit Heater

Started by Mitchell, November 18, 2015, 04:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitchell

Hi Everyone! I"m new to this forum today. Quick question. Code states bottom of unit heater to floor of garage min. 8 ft., unless a suitable guard is installed to prevent vehicle hitting it. Garage door is only 6 1/2 ft. high. No way an 8 ft. high vehicle could fit in the garage. Any ideas why this code even exists? and what a SUITABLE guard would be?

Admin

Some garages have only 9' ceilings so I'm not sure how you could maintain an 8' clearance.

To protect the appliance I would follow Clause 6.16.14,

QuoteClause 6.16.14 - The piping or tubing entering a building shall be protected from vehicular damage by one of the following means:
(a) Posts shall
(i) be not less than 12 in (300 mm) from the riser, regulator, or equipment;
(ii) be spaced not more than 42 in (1050 mm) apart;
(iii) be buried not less than 36 in (900 mm) below grade;
(iv) extend at least 30 in (750 mm) above grade; and
(v) be one of the following:
(1) 4 in (100 mm) capped steel pipe;
(2) 4 in (100 mm) tubing filled with concrete;
(3) 8 in (200 mm) pressure-treated wood, either square or round; or
(4) 6 in (150 mm) minimum dimension reinforced concrete.
(b) Guardrails shall be
(i) not less than 12 in (300 mm) from the riser, regulator, or equipment;
(ii) of the steel deep beam type, 12 in (300 mm);
(iii) supported by 6 in (150 mm) minimum pressure-treated wooden posts located not more than
42 in (1050 mm) apart, centre to centre; and
(iv) located so that the top of the beam is not less than 24 in (600 mm) nor more than 30 in (750 mm) above grade.

QuoteClause 7.27.3 - When installed in a garage, a minimum clearance of 8 ft (2.4 m) shall be maintained between the base of the heater and the garage floor. The minimum clearance may be reduced when a substantial guard is provided to prevent vehicles from striking the heater. See also Clause 4.16.

Mitchell

Thanks. It's a ridiculous code 7.27.3. I was thinking of attaching a barrier to the ceiling, next to the UH.

viking

I beleive the clause was written with commercial repair garages in mind. In which case it would make sense.

Porcupinepuffer

Actually, it still makes no sense. Commercial garages have vehicles that EASILY exceed heights of 8'.  If they would simply give a height formula of either equal garage door opening height, plus or minus X amount of inches, then we know the heater could be installed out of the way of danger of any vehicle to what is capable of actually fitting in the garage?

viking