writing a pressure gas test

Started by moenaboulsi, February 12, 2011, 05:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moenaboulsi

hello, iam just wondering about what is required in regards to a gas pressure test when performing service on a gas appliance or replacing it. thanks

Admin

Clause 6.22.6

QuoteWhen the pressure test in 6.22.2 or the leak test in 6.22.4 is completed, a tag stating the following information shall be attached to the piping, tubing system or an appliance in a readily accessible location protected from the environment:
(i) Address of test;
(ii) Contractor's name
(iii) Contractor's registration number
(iv) Date of test
(v) Test pressure
(vi) Test duration
(vii) Total pipe length
(viii) Pipe size
(ix) Gas Technician name
(x) Gas Technician certificate number and classification
(xi) Statement: "DO NOT REMOVE"

You can order Warning & Pressure Test Tags from TSSA - Here

Also read the history behind pressure test requirements - Here

moenaboulsi

cabowabo5150

I installed a new furnace my house, and I am currently in the process of selling it.

The home inspector wants a TSSA gas pressure test tag on the furnace before the sale is approved as the tag I left on there is simply a piece of paper stating the usual stuffs...

The TSSA tag requires a contractor number.

Since I am a valid G1 certified gas fitter (I work for a large corporation & can't use their contractor #...), do I need a contractor number on the tag if my name & G1 certificate number is on the tag?

Thanks

Admin

Clause 6.22.6 does not require a "TSSA pressure test tag".  As long as the information listed in Clause 6.22.6 is provided, it could be written on anything in my opinion.  ie: cardboard, metal, paper etc...

Let's look at Ontario Regulation 212/01 and the definition of a contractor,

Quote"contractor" means a person who carries on, in whole or in part, the business of installing, removing, repairing, altering or servicing appliances, and includes a person or an agent of the person who agrees to install, remove, repair, alter or service appliances sold or leased by the person;

Do you have a HVAC business?  Did you sell or lease yourself the furnace?  It's clear in your case you are a homeowner and not a contractor.

Next let's look at Ontario Regulation 215/01 and Section 55 - Exemptions Subsection 1,

Quote55.  (1)  A person is exempt from subsection 3 (1) with respect to the following activities:
1. Installing or servicing an appliance in a detached dwelling that is owned and occupied by the person but the person shall not activate a newly installed appliance until a person who is the holder of an appropriate certificate referred to in subsection 3 (1) determines that the appliance and its installation comply with the requirements of Ontario Regulation 212/01 (Gaseous Fuels) and Ontario Regulation 213/01 (Fuel Oil).

As the homeowner, of a detached dwelling, you are allowed to install the furnace without certification, but the activation must be performed by a certificate holder, which in your case you are.  Section 55 Subsection 1 states a certificate holder must activate the appliance but does not state that person must be a registered contractor.  Unless you are receiving monetary compensation you are not a "contractor" in my opinion. 

You are legally allowed to install the furnace and since you are not a registered contractor you have no registration number and are not required to supply one.  If the inspectors issue with the test tag has been added as a condition to your agreement of purchase and sale, I would simply provide the buyers agent with documentation which states the furnace has been installed in accordance with O. Reg 212/01, 215/01 and the B149.1-10 gas code.

Then advise any concerned parties to contact the TSSA at 1 (877) 682-8772, should they have any further questions.

You may also want to ask the TSSA this question and see how they respond,

fuels_technical_services@tssa.org

Good Luck!

simon

Gas license is from G3 then to G2 then G1. As G2 or G1 you can install any gas unit (not more than 400,000 btu for G2) and should tag the gas line on each unit IF you have a TSSA number. Should a non licensed homeowner or handyman install a gas unit, they can hire a gas fitter to inspect and tag it provided it follows the code. Many homeowners do not realize the value of gas tag as they are thinking of making everything cheap when in the end it becomes expensive and more of a headache when the unit is not certified by a gas fitter. TSSA certification is not only the law but is also required for home insurance, liability and WSIB. Safety first is the main concern.