Wich indicates driest reading ?
A - 100 microns
B - 450 Microns
C - 29 hg
D - 0 hg

Admin

This may be a trick question another user has asked about before,

http://www.hvactechgroup.com/hvacforum/index.php?topic=1834.msg5277#msg5277

If you look at the chart attached to that post, a 100% vacuum is equal to 0 microns or 0" Hg absolute.

I'm thinking whether it's possible or not, 0" Hg absolute or 0 microns is technically the driest possible system.

hvactech83

Appearently
This Is a on the exam 100%
I even googled got me more confused but

So what is the correct answer Final calll :/

Porcupinepuffer

So looking back at the question, it seems D would be the most correct answer given the limited detail in the options. Throughout all the training material I've dealt with for air conditioning and refrigeration, I've never come across anywhere that refers to vacuum in terms of absolute. It's always expressed in gauge.

But since 0 hg absolute is a complete vacuum and the rest of the options are not, I would say it must be D.

I'm scheduled to write the exam next week, I'll see if it pops up.

hvactech83

Sounds good

thnak you !and good luck with the exam

rmuntz

My guess would be (A) - 100 microns

(C) 29"hg = 24,300 microns
(D) 0"hg = 730,000 microns

Admin

It looks like we should be using the gauge pressure for their answers.

You can download the Yellow Jacket Tips, Tools for Pulling an Effective Vacuum - Here

QuoteWhen vacuum is measured in inches of mercury it must be remembered that atmospheric pressure (gauge pressure) is the starting point and that the gauge readings are negative numbers. Thus, -29.921 inches Hg is a perfect vacuum. It is not practical to measure a deep vacuum (low absolute pressure) in inches of mercury because the units are so large; it is measured in microns. There are 1,000 microns in a millimeter (Torr) and 25,400 microns in 1 inch of mercury, so the use of this unit makes the measurement of deep vacuum much more precise.

The Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning textbook also uses gauge pressure.

QuoteHigh-Vacuum Gauges
To measure deep ("high") vacuum, an electronic or a solid-state thermistor vacuum gauge is used. A regular compound gauge cannot read accurately to micron levels.  A high vacuum gauge is shown in Figure 12-100.  A vacuum from 29.25" Hg (about 17,000 microns) to 29.9" Hg (about 540 microns) is necessary to allow the moisture inside the system to evaporate at room temperature.

I suspect the exam is using gauge pressure with their answers as well.  I agree with rmuntz,  the correct answer is A, 100 microns.  Porcupinepuffer you had it right the 1st time  :angel:

In the previous thread with this question the poster had me convinced the answers were Inch Hg absolute.

The answers seem to be arranged from the lowest micron reading to highest.

Porcupinepuffer

The big dilemma is trying to get into the head of the person that put this question down. Whether they meant gauge pressure, or were clever enough to make it a trick question?
I'm split down the middle now :-\

rmuntz

Looks like my numbers were a little bit off

29"hg = 25,400 microns
0"hg = 760,000 microns

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most !!

Admin

Anyone writing the exam should be able to ask the proctor if the answers are in absolute or gauge pressure, if that information is not given.

Porcupinepuffer

Wrote the exam this morning and this question was word for word on it.

Admin

Did we find out if it's gauge or absolute?

Are you going to pass?

Porcupinepuffer

A huge portion of the questions from the exam were on this forum, so I wasn't overly worried about this one question. I should have asked tho. The invigilator was a smokin hot babe.

Admin

Nice, good to hear!

Good luck :)

hvactech83

whaaaaat this was on the examm?  so what now we all agree 100 micron ? yea?

hvactech83

Bpuffer .>>? so what was on the exam more ,hope ur memory stillll sharp  ;D

Porcupinepuffer

Quote from: hvactech83 on November 09, 2016, 09:42:24 PM
Bpuffer .>>? so what was on the exam more ,hope ur memory stillll sharp  ;D

I'll be posting additional questions. I started writing them down yesterday  ;)