7.27.1 ?

Started by Mmtc79, October 04, 2017, 06:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mmtc79

So I looked @ a gas re / re furnace only
Upon entering basement totally finished basement cx says furnace and hwt are in the bedroom upon entering open a door in room find a mid furnace and a cv tank that had just been changed out by one of the large rental company's room with equipment is small no combustion air at all tank was replaced less the. A yr ago why are they not fixing problems and leaving stuff not to code then the honest guy comes in and looks like a dickhead to the customer for doing his job then the question is why did they do this ? Is anyone else finding these gems or is there a easy way to remedy this otherwise then taking bed out of the room lol

tenletters

Hopefully you didn't write 7.26.1 on your infraction ;)

A water heater, unless of the direct-vent type, shall not be installed in a bathroom, bedroom, or any
enclosure where sleeping accommodation is provided.

Write up the infraction and move on. His bill will increase $10 with his rental company. They'll cap off the venting and throw in a new tank if the customer wants.
https://www.hvactechgroup.com/hvacforum/index.php?topic=2742 - Free Online Tech Course - HVAC Basics

walker

I run in to this all the time.  I usually B-tag, tell the customer if I don't see a bed, its not a bedroom.  They make the bed disappear, the b-tag gets cleared, then magically later on long after I'm gone the bed will reappear, I've covered my ass by b-tagging it and the customer understands they can't have a bed in that room, if something goes south that's now on them.

Mmtc79

No I wrote 7.27.1 lol typo lol

Admin

Keep in mind Clause 7.27.1 was amended by FS-225-17 in the B149.1-15 Code.

QuoteClause 7.27.1 is revoked and the following substituted for it:

Clause 7.27.1 - A water heater, unless of the direct-vent type, shall not be installed in a bathroom, bedroom, or any enclosure where sleeping accommodation is provided.

A power vent water heater may be installed in an enclosure adjacent to a bedroom or bathroom provided adequate combustion air per clause 8.2.6 is provided to the enclosure. This combustion air supply shall not be supplied from the bedroom or bathroom.

A natural draft water heater may be installed in an enclosure that is accessed by a pedestrian door which can be opened from a bathroom or bedroom, provided that the enclosure has a volume equal to or greater than the bathroom or bedroom.

I only install direct vent appliances.  Does this mean it's okay that a mid efficiency furnace is installed in a bedroom?  The only concern is with the water heater?

Frosty

Is that some sort of sharbite CF adaptor fitting coming off the hot and cold lines?

Porcupinepuffer

Quote from: Frosty on October 05, 2017, 02:04:50 PM
Is that some sort of sharbite CF adaptor fitting coming off the hot and cold lines?

Sure looks like it.

Mmtc79

Yeah it's a shark bite fitting and yes direct vent all the way and yes the furnace is a problem but that's getting replaced now water heater is getting replaced with a pvdv so all good to go

walker

whats the problem with the furnace?

Mmtc79

No problem just upgrading