Charging 1 port heat pumps in the winter

Started by Sergroum, January 26, 2018, 05:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergroum

Greetings.

I wonder if anyone has encountered this problem before. I have a side discharge ductless heat pump here. There is only one service port at the Condenser and it's on the suction line. The head is in a Solarium and it's +7 there right now. I cannot turn the unit into a cooling mode, because the control does not go below +9 and I cannot charge the unit in heating mode, because the suction becomes the liquid line and it's not sucking in the refrigerant. Has anyone encountered a problem like that? I was thinking on triggering a defrost mode, but it's all dc voltage soldered into the control board, so that will not work properly.

scarey8

Push the refrigerant in with a recovery machine, if you are worried about contaminates that might be left over in the machine, use a flush kit prior and nitrogen.  rig everything up with the isolation valves and evacuate, use the recovery machine to transfer from bottle to system. 

Sergroum

scarey8

Even easier would be to call for heat, energize or de-energize the reversing valve ( how ever your system is setup).  might lock out, just might work and save you a bunch of work if you are just looking to drop the low side pressure.   good luck out there

Sergroum

That was the first thing I tried. The connections to the valve are all soldered into the control board, so it's not just a matter of pulling a wire. I could've cut it, I suppose and then morrett it, but meh. In the end, I just ended up heating the hell out of that room with a portable heater, enough for cooling to kick in. Just dropped off a heater, set it to run, and came back 4 hours later, once the other calls were taken care of.