Gas Range clearance Question

Started by Porcupinepuffer, March 18, 2018, 04:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porcupinepuffer

So do we require this 30 inches from the stove to the above cupboards regardless of range hood? I interpret the code as meaning 30" is a minimum if an exposed underside of a combustible set of cupboards is above the stove and no range hood is present.

Reason I ask is because some manuals call for a minimum of 24" from the range hood down to the stove, and I believe the range hood should act as some form of fire protection from the bare underside of a kitchen cupboard should it be slightly less than 30".

I'm curious if everyone else just plays it safe and flat out looks for a minimum of 30" to the above cupboard, regardless of range hood and type?

I also want to be fairly certain of myself when people typically get pretty upset when their beautiful stove can't be put in and I"m telling them they need to butcher up their cupboards to make it work.

NoDIY

This is one of the places in the code where they actually point to the certified installation instructions and rating plate. Meaning we don't have to take the more stringent between the manual and the code.

I would play it safe and have that cupboard at 30"   7.32.7 talks about millboard and sheet metal to reduce to 24".. I would not use the hood as a way to reduce the 30". Does the manual give measurements for a combustible cupboard? different than 30"

Better to ask for more upfront then have to deal with it after the kitchen is complete and it doesn't pass inspection.

The other thing to look at is the side clearance. 18" with a 3" valance wont allow most ranges. Samsung for instance has asked for 4" on the left and 6" or the right for one model. So to make things look right the valance needs to be cut back 6" left and right of the range. (assuming the cabinets are at 18")

Admin

Quote7.33.4 - Except where permitted by Clauses 4.13.2 and 7.32.5 to 7.32.7, a residential-type range shall have the following minimum clearances from combustible material:
(a) above — 30 in (760 mm); and
(b) back and sides — 6 in (150 mm).

7.33.6 - A new residential-type range shall be installed in accordance with its certified clearances from combustible material as specified on the appliance rating plate.

7.33.7 - When the underside of the combustible material above a residential-type range is protected with insulating millboard at least 0.25 in (6 mm) thick covered with sheet metal not less than 28 MSG (0.3 mm), the clearance above the range as specified in Clause 7.33.4 may be reduced to 24 in (610 mm).

7.33.8 - An exhaust hood, an exhaust appliance, or a combination thereof installed above a range shall be installed in accordance with certified installation instructions for such an exhaust hood or appliance.

Quote4.13.2 - The clearances to combustible material specified in Clause 7 shall not be reduced unless
(a) such reduced clearance is certified as safe by a nationally recognized certification organization acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction, and so marked on the appliance nameplate; or
(b) protection is provided for the combustible material, and such protection and such reduced clearance are in accordance with Table 4.1.

It's my understanding that you could follow a reduced clearance requirement if the manual / rating plate stated so, even though the Gas Code requires 30".  Some gas range manuals I have seen require a 36" clearance.  Table 4.1 allows us to reduce this clearance if certain forms of protection are used.

Most inspectors I deal with do not consider the range hood to be combustible and measure from the combustible cabinet above.  Although I have heard people say that the wiring found inside the range hood is in fact combustible, so the clearance distances should be measured from the bottom of the range hood and not the wood cabinet.

Porcupinepuffer

Quote from: NoDIY on March 18, 2018, 06:19:27 PM

The other thing to look at is the side clearance. 18" with a 3" valance wont allow most ranges. Samsung for instance has asked for 4" on the left and 6" or the right for one model. So to make things look right the valance needs to be cut back 6" left and right of the range. (assuming the cabinets are at 18")

Yeah the last one we did was low with the 30" but also a couple inches low with the 18" requirement to the cupboards beside it. Which was obvious enough it wouldn't work. Even many of the manuals I see just show the clearance of 30" up with no showing of any hoods installed and how that affects it. I guess it just flat out requires that 30", unless clearance are reduced with all that millboard requirements.

Admin

The height requirements really seem to depend on the manufacturer and model of both the gas range and range hood.  For example the Samsung NK30K7000WS range hood manual says,

QuoteMounting Height - Select a mounting height between a minimum of 24" (61 cm) for an electric cooking surface, a minimum of 30" (76.2 cm) for a gas cooking surface, and a suggested maximum of 36" (91.4 cm) above the range to the bottom of the hood

The Broan E64000LC range hood manual says,

QuoteFor best capture of cooking impurities, the bottom of the hood should be at a minimum of 24" and at a maximum of 30" above the cooking surface. For a gas range, the bottom of the hood MUST NOT BE LESS than 30" above cooktop.

If we follow Clause 7.33.8 and use that model of Samsung or Broan range hood, the cabinet height would have to be greater than 30" to allow the range hood to be installed at least 30 inches above the range.

The NuTone Allure WS1 range hood manual is worded differently and says,

QuoteFor best capture of cooking impurities, your range hood should be mounted so that the top of the hood is 24" to 30" above the cooking surface.

Notice this says from the top of the hood.

The Whirlpool W10553363 gas range manual says,

Quote30" (76.2 cm) minimum clearance between the top of the cooking platform and the bottom of an uncovered wood or metal cabinet.

QuoteIMPORTANT: If installing a range hood or microwave hood combination above the range, follow the range hood or microwave hood combination installation instructions for dimensional clearances above the cooktop surface

This manual says all weed need is 30" to the wood cabinet but then says to follow the range hood instructions.

The Kenmore gas range manual I found requires 30" to the wood cabinet but also says,

QuoteAir curtain or other overhead range hoods, which operate by blowing a downward air flow on to a range, shall not be used in conjunction with gas ranges other than when the hood and range have been designed, tested and listed by an independent test laboratory for use in combination with each other.

So it really seems you have to choose the proper gas range and range hood to work with your cabinet height.

Look at the picture I posted from the GE JGBS04 manual.  It doesn't want a range hood installed that has less than 24" clearance above the range.  If we installed a Allure WS1 which is 7.25" thick on a 30" high cabinet, we would only have 22.75" clearance.  And it mentions leaving a 1/4" air gap between the range hood and cabinets.

I will have a look at some of the specs for gas ranges and the range hoods installed in new construction to see what is being used.  If I'm not mistaken they install the cabinets 36" above the gas stove and most homes with gas ranges also purchase a chimney style hood fan and eliminate the cabinet all together.

NoDIY

The other thing to be mindful of:
Combustible surface vs Combustibles

One is talking literally the surface the other the construction..so tile dryway woodstud clearance. Some island cook tops ask for 12" to combustibles.. when going against a wall using tile is not enough.. steel stud cement board or the optional zero clearance back splash can be ordered in

Also 30" measured from the counter top for one range and from the cooking surface for another . Could be 3-4" above the counter so u essentially look for an upper at 33/34" above..

More than ever read that manual and rating plate ..