G1 license question

Started by plott hound, March 24, 2018, 08:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plott hound

ive had my G2 license for over 30 years now and always wanted to get my G1.but after doing my sheet metal schooling then two rounds of night courses for my OB2 and propane I had just about enough of school.what all is involved now to obtain my G1 gas licence?im sure it would have been an easier task 20 years ago.

thanks

Porcupinepuffer

I'm not totally sure if you can flat out challenge the G1 without the additional courses. One thing you definitely need is the proof of a minimum of 500 hours of experience on equipment over 400,000 btu's.

Most places offer the G1 course in evenings. It's not totally bad since it's not nearly as long as the G2 course. It's basically the same classroom hours as when you were doing the G3.

Hi-mark also offers it. If you're as well experienced as you are, it would come easy and the course would be over pretty quickly.

tenletters

Quote from: plott hound on March 24, 2018, 08:35:55 AM
ive had my G2 license for over 30 years now and always wanted to get my G1.but after doing my sheet metal schooling then two rounds of night courses for my OB2 and propane I had just about enough of school.what all is involved now to obtain my G1 gas licence?im sure it would have been an easier task 20 years ago.

thanks
You've had your G2 over 30 years? How were you not grandfathered into the G1? I thought the timeframe was less than that when they introduced the 3 tier licensing system.
https://www.hvactechgroup.com/hvacforum/index.php?topic=2742 - Free Online Tech Course - HVAC Basics

viking

It used to be G1 and G2 before they introduced G3.
G1 has always existed.

As already stated you would have to prove 500 hours on G1 equipment. Probably best to take a course to. Probably make passing the exam easier.

plott hound

thanks guys,will look into the course.i think theres a himark just outside of barrie.

tenletters

Quote from: viking on March 24, 2018, 05:39:49 PM
It used to be G1 and G2 before they introduced G3.
G1 has always existed.

As already stated you would have to prove 500 hours on G1 equipment. Probably best to take a course to. Probably make passing the exam easier.
Oh. I always heard it was just one license. Something I never looked into. Seems like if he was a G2 at that time, which I assume is the case since he said 30 years, he should have been rolled over to G1.
https://www.hvactechgroup.com/hvacforum/index.php?topic=2742 - Free Online Tech Course - HVAC Basics

plott hound

G1 was around 30 years ago.

viking

If it was one licence I guess it was before my time. I got G2 in 1986 or 87 and G1 in 1992.

I know. F'n old guy.