Fireplace insert

Started by walker, April 25, 2018, 08:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walker

Anyone have experience installing a insert fireplace?

I have a customer that wants to install a Valor 736MN fireplace insert and vent up an existing 15' 12"x8" Clay lined chimney.

I have never installed an insert before.

Looking at the install instructions looks like I would just run a 4" chimney liner with a cap down through the existing clay lined chimney?

anyone have some pointers for me?

Porcupinepuffer

Never installed that model but have done endless inserts and tons of valors. Go over the measurements to make sure the fireplace will go to the proper depth and the 4" liner will make it onto the breach of the fireplace without issue. Make sure the chimney is clean of creosote. Use millpack for the connections of the liner at both ends. They don't want silicone used because it can cause the glass to turn yellow.
Bring a bat or two of roxul insulation to stuff it in the area  around the liner where the damper used to be. Customers don't want cold drafts. There may also be a metal tag that comes with the fireplace you need to tapcon to the firebricks in the fireplace if you have to modify/remove the damper to get the liner in. (so nobody removes the fireplace and uses it as wood again)

walker

Great thanks for the tips.

walker

Looks like the model he has isn't going to work, the depth at the back of his existing fireplace is 14" and  this Valor calls for 14-13/16".