Appliance connector

Started by howitt, September 19, 2018, 05:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howitt

I recently used a corrugated stainless steel appliance connector to attach a gas supply line to a unit heater in a commercial building. I was told that you are not allowed to do that in a commercial situation. Is that true?

Admin

I don't see a problem with using a standard gas connector on a unit heater as long as it was certified to CSA 6.10.

QuoteClause 6.21.3 - Except as specified in Clause 7.23.3, a corrugated metal gas connector certified to ANSI Z21.24/CSA 6.10 may be used to connect
(b) a suspended appliance to piping or tubing, provided that the gas connector length does not exceed 2 ft (600 mm); or

They may be refering to Clause 6.21.5, but that applies to commercial cooking equipment, not unit heaters.  Commercial cooking equipment require the more costly gas connector with CSA 6.16 certification.

QuoteClause 6.21.5 - Commercial cooking appliances certified for use with casters or otherwise subject to movement during cleaning and other large gas utilization equipment that can be moved shall be connected by a certified gas connector that is certified to either ANSI Z21.69/CSA 6.16 or ANSI Z21.101/CSA 8.5.

walker

Quote from: Admin on September 19, 2018, 09:04:30 PM
QuoteClause 6.21.3 - Except as specified in Clause 7.23.3, a corrugated metal gas connector certified to ANSI Z21.24/CSA 6.10 may be used to connect
(b) a suspended appliance to piping or tubing, provided that the gas connector length does not exceed 2 ft (600 mm); or

They may be refering to Clause 6.21.5, but that applies to commercial cooking equipment.

QuoteClause 6.21.5 - Commercial cooking appliances certified for use with casters or otherwise subject to movement during cleaning and other large gas utilization equipment that can be moved shall be connected by a certified gas connector that is certified to either ANSI Z21.69/CSA 6.16 or ANSI Z21.101/CSA 8.5.

Either way,  6.21.5 says you must use a gas connector.

I would say they are wrong.

howitt

I was pretty certain that it was acceptable to use that type of connector but he made me second guess myself.

Admin

QuoteEither way,  6.21.5 says you must use a gas connector.

What do you mean?  Clause 6.21.5 is for commercial cooking equipment not unit heaters.

walker

Quote from: Admin on September 20, 2018, 09:43:52 AM
QuoteEither way,  6.21.5 says you must use a gas connector.

What do you mean?  Clause 6.21.5 is for commercial cooking equipment not unit heaters.

You said maybe they were confused about what type of equipment, but either way it says to use gas connector. Where the OP said they are saying you can't use a gas connector.

Admin

Oh I misread his original post.  I thought they said he couldn't use that kind of connector and might have meant using the upgraded CSA 6.16 connector.

You could hard pipe into a unit heater but I always see them connected with a gas connector.  6.21.3 is worded differently than Clause 6.21.5.  It seems commercial cooking equipment must use a gas connector, but a unit heater may use one.

howitt

You are correct, I did say "that" type of gas connector. The other gas tech said I could not use the yellow ones and that I could only use the black ones which I assume he meant the connectors used in commercial equipment.

Admin

LOL but you said that after my reply.  I read your mind anyway.

I believe the CSA 6.16 gas connectors are blue and the CSA 8.5 are black hoses.